Saturday, September 28, 2019

Rage Yoga Involves Drinking Beer, Swearing and More. A Real Story.



My wife likes to take yoga classes. She is a very flexible person and loves doing yoga poses and meditation. My wife wants me to be part of her world and has tried to get me involved with her love of yoga. I have discovered I am not a very flexible person. I don't like doing yoga poses as my body rejects the idea of doing such a thing. When it comes time for meditation, I fall asleep. I'm sure others in her yoga class have mentioned about my and bringing a pillow and blanket for meditation as well as my snoring during this time. I just discovered a story about a type of yoga that seems designed for people like me. It's called Rage Yoga. This type of yoga involves cursing, heavy metal music, and beer. I confess to swearing during times I've attempted a yoga pose, and it felt awkward. I'm sure rage yoga could become a very popular activity that can be taught at many bars around the country. The image of people at biker bar cursing and drinking beer as they do yoga is something I believe would be fascinating to watch.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

Lindsay Istace, the founder of Rage Yoga, describes it as “alternative yoga for the modern badass." "It's meant to be a different approach to yoga for those who find their peaceful center in a different way," she says. The practice "involves a little bit of extra chaos and a sense of humor," she says. Think: war cries heavy metal guitar riffs, occasional dirty jokes, f-bombs, and yes, even drinking. It’s definitely a vibe.


I wonder if 3,000 years ago in a land we now know as India if those who invented yoga anticipated the possibility of Rage Yoga. I can only imagine what Gandhi would think about Rage Yoga. Seeing him drink beer and swearing with heavy metal music being played in the backgroud is an image I don't think many people would believe.

Most people probably don't think of these things when they take a yoga class.

I want all of you to relax before we begin our yoga.”
Someone lets out a rather nasty burp.
You, in the back wearing the heavy metal jacket. Could you please take your beer outside. There is no drinking during yoga class.”
What? What kind of s&^it, f%^ked, up yoga class is this? I paid my money and I want to drink beer, curse and listen to heavy metal when I do yoga.”
Oh, that yoga class is at the biker bar across the street.'
Really, sorry, I'll be going now.”
Namaste.”
No, sorry, I can't stay. Come over to bar after class and we'll talk.”


The goal? To make you feel like an empowered badass, to work through what's holding you back, and to become a more resilient person, Istace explains in a video on the Rage Yoga website. Basically, it’s the yoga equivalent of plugging in your headphones, pressing play on BeyoncĂ©'s "Flawless," cranking the volume all the way up, and strutting your damn stuff up Fifth Avenue. (Just me?)

(Sarcasm Alert)

I suppose having a goal of enlightenment, recognition of your own divinity as well as freedom are boring traditional goals of yoga. Now, this yoga can help people who want to have that special feeling of being an empowered badass. Maybe it will help you get in touch with your inner badass and provide you with badass enlightenment. It's possible people walk away from this with a sense of their badass divinity. Those who practice this yoga will be noticed as they move along Fifth Avenue strutting their stuff. It could also help you learn new curse words and the latest heavy metal bands as well as the best beer all at the same time.


As for the actual, you know, yoga part, Istace tells Health that the flow itself incorporates traditional yoga postures and breathing with alternative principles, and the intensity and difficulty depends on the instructor and class. Speaking of the instructors: All of the Rage Yoga instructors have completed a Rage Yoga certification program and also have completed a 200-hour yoga teacher training.

I bet seeing someone cursing as they do the downward dog pose to heavy metal music is quite a sight. I think this breathing training will help people with their beer drinking. They may be told to take a deep breath, exhale, and drink until the can or bottle is empty. I'm sure if you are going to learn Rage Yoga, it's important you learn from someone who has a Rage Yoga certificate.

How am I doing for my certificate?”
Well, you excel at beer drinking and listening to heavy metal music. You do need some work when it comes to swearing with your yoga.”
Could I be tested on the swearing portion of the certification process when I'm driving?”
I'm sorry, I can't allow such a thing.”
Ah, Son of a b*&ch, I can't say F*^King, swear unless I'm F*^king my piece of s%^it car.”
Good news.”
What?”
You passed the swearing portion of the certification process.”
Great.”


While it might sound like the opposite of soothing, according to psychotherapist Courtney Glashow, LCSW, founder of Anchor Therapy in Hoboken, New Jersey, cursing actually can allow for an emotional release. “In the right setting, I believe that cursing can be therapeutic because it can allow us to let our anger out, we can use specific words to express ourselves.”

My father would have loved Rage Yoga. He had a natural gift for drinking beer and swearing. When I was growing up, my father's vocabulary consisted of a natural blend of regular American English and swear words. If you asked him a question without curse words, he could get confused. When the proper amount of swearing was involved, he then understood perfectly.

It appears that your car needs to have the oil changed.”
What?”
I said, you need to change the oil in your car changed.”
What are you talking about? I don't understand.”
It looks like that piece of s&^t car of yours is f*&ked up to the point where you have to spend money on the b*&ch and get the oil changed.”
Okay, why didn't you say so in the first place?
Never mind.”


Maybe! If you’re so over regular yoga (or too intimidated to try it), or you’re simply someone who finds it easier (or more fun!) to get centered while letting out f-bombs, Rage Yoga could be for you.

I knew I could benefit from yoga. I guess I just had to find the right type of yoga. When my wife comes home I may have heavy metal music blasting as I strike a pose, drink some beer and start swearing. If she asks what I'm doing, I'll tell her I'm doing Rage Yoga. She could then give me a look and start swearing and tell me she is practicing annoyed wife Rage Yoga. Unfortunately for me, that wins over any yoga in existence.

Below is a link to the story.

https://www.health.com/fitness/rage-yoga

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer






.

No comments:

Post a Comment