Friday, September 27, 2019

Binge Drinking Changes DNA Causing an Elevated Desire for Alcohol. A Real Story.



I know that heavy drinking can do many bad things to a person. They could get into an accident when driving, become sick, act inappropriately or watch reruns of the television show Hazel. I'm sure many of us did not realize heavy drinking could change our DNA. Not the type of DNA change you would like to experience. You're not going to develop superpowers, get increased strength or mental abilities. According to a new study, binge drinking will result in DNA changes that cause you to have a stronger desire for alcohol. I wonder if chocolate does the same thing? Does binge chocolate eating cause long-lasting changes in a person's DNA? Could this result in an uncontrollable urge to consume chocolate? I wonder if some people could go from eating a chocolate bar a day to a serious Nestles quick sniffing habit. Is it possible for Star Wars movies to change your DNA? I think is it possible for excessive bacon eating to alter your DNA. We may need to have some more studies done.

Below are some excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

A new study finds that frequently consuming too much booze may lead to a long-lasting change in DNA that causes an even stronger desire for alcohol.
Researchers at Rutgers University studied two genes that play a central role in one’s drinking behavior: PER2, which influences the body’s biological clock; and POMC, which regulates the body’s stress response system.


I suppose if you're going to study genes that impact a person's desire for alcohol, you study the one involved with the body's biological clock.

The good news is your DNA has not been affected by your excessive alcohol consumption. It has not been changed so you want to have more and more booze. Now the bad news.
What bad news?”
Your biological clock has shut down. I'm sorry but you are too old to have children, wear those cute outfits on the beach or move in with your parents.”
Okay, I'll drink to all of it.”

I'm sure if you drink too much, your body will probably have a slower stress response. This means when your boss yells and says you're fired, it's okay. Your DNA may have been altered so you will only be upset about it a few days later; when you become sober.


After comparing groups of moderate, binge, and heavy social drinkers, they found that both genes were modified among those who drink heavily or binged by an alcohol-influenced gene modification condition called methlyation. Researchers also noticed reductions in gene expression — or the rate that the genes create proteins. They found modifications increased with greater alcohol consumption.


I wonder how they determine who is a heavy social drinker compared to moderate and binge.

You are a moderate social drinker.”
I know, I've not put too much effort into my drinking. Give me time, and I'm sure I could move up the ranks.”
If you become a heavy social drinker your DNA could be changed.”
Will I turn into Super Drinking Man with incredible drinking powers.”
No, you'll just be a drunk with altered DNA and an increased craving for alcohol.”
Then I'll better understand my family.
Oh.”

Participants in the study were also shown stress-related, neutral, or alcohol-related images. They were then shown containers of beer, before being asked to taste the beverage. Researchers then assessed each participant’s desire to drink and found those with the genetic changes from heavy drinking showed a stronger craving.

What were these neutral, stress-related or alcohol-related images?

Here is a picture of a person dreaming.”
Is that neutral?”
Yes.”
Here is a picture of Yoko Ono about to have a one-person concert inside the living room at your house.”
Is that a stress-related image?”
No, that's alcohol-related. Even the researchers wanted to start drinking heavily after seeing it.”
What is the stress-related image?”
Having Yoko Ono perform her one-person concert inside your living room without access to alcohol until the next day.”
Whoa, that is stressful.”


The authors hope the research will lead them to identify genetic markers that could actually, predict an individual’s risk for binge or heavy drinking.

I'm sure before this gets perfected there will be a few mistakes.

According to your genetic markers you are at risk for heavy drinking.”
I'm allergic to alcohol.”
Your genetic markers also say you are going to alter your DNA and become a superhero. It's possible for you to become Super Non-Drinking man.”
Are you a scientist?”
No, I'm a writer for Marvel comics.”
Oh.”

Here is a link to the story.

https://www.studyfinds.org/heavy-drinking-change-dna-alcohol-cravings/

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer 




No comments:

Post a Comment