Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Firefighters Mistaken 11-Foot Alligator for Unconscious Person. A Real Story



I don't know how this happened. It must have been dark, they weren't sure what they were seeing, the alligator had a bottle of Jack Daniels next to it, or something similar. I think of an alligator and then I think of some people I've known and I realize this may be possible. My friend's family has some rather large people, and they do make some disturbing sounds when they are laying outside. When it is dark, you could not have any idea they are outside near you until they make a sound. In some cases, it would be easy to mistake them for an alligator. They would probably be the variety of alligator found with a bottle of Jack Daniels next to them.

Below are some excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

Firefighters in Florida said they stopped to help what appeared to be an unconscious person late at night and discovered it was actually an 11-foot alligator.
Miami Fire Rescue said the crew was heading back to their station about 11 pm. Friday when they spotted what appeared to be a person in distress in a residential neighborhood.


I'm sure an interesting conversation took place among the Fire and Rescue crew that night.

I can't wait to get back to the station.”
Me too, I'm ready to call it a night.”
Look over there, it appears to be a person in distress.”
Wow, over there is a person who is long has scales and very large teeth.”
That could be my uncle Loslo. That description fits him perfectly.”
Should we stop and see if it is someone who needs our help?”
Look for a bottle of Jack Daniels first.”
Why?”
If you see that, it is definitely my uncle Loslo.”
Oh.”


"As they got closer, they noticed that this was not a person but actually an 11-foot alligator," Miami Fire Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll told WVSN-TV.
The firefighters kept an eye on the reptile and summoned Miami Police, who in turn called the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Ah, the scene of a fire and rescue crew approaching an alligator they believe is a person in distress provides a wealth of comedic scenarios.

Hey, hey, Abbot.'
What now Costello?”
That person we think is a person in distress is not a person I think is in distress.”
Oh, knock it off Costello. Of course, it's a person in distress. Now just go over there and see what's wrong.”
I don't think it's a person.”
If you don't think it's a person in distress, what could it be then?
I, I, I think it's an alligator.”
Costello, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Now go over there and see what is wrong with that person.”

Costello makes funny sounds, points, makes some funny actions. He looks at his partner who points to the alligator. Costello then goes over and we hear some rather funny sounds. Eventually, he returns to his partner.

Now was that so difficult Costello?”
Nope, because I made it easy.”
How did you make it easy?”
He opened his mouth and I poured the rest of the bottle of Jack Daniels down his throat. Now, everything is okay.”
I hope you learned something Costello.”
Yes, I learned uncle Loslo isn't the only one who has scales, a big mouth and travels with a bottle of Jack Daniels.”


"For about an hour, they monitored this alligator, along with Miami Police, as it continued to make its way further into the residential neighborhood," Carroll said.
He said the FWC trapper arrived just as the alligator had wandered into an elderly couple's back yard. He said the alligator broke through a chain-link fence to enter the yard.


I suppose monitoring an alligator is easier than trying to help a person in distress. Something tells me the fire and rescue crew would prefer to be helping someone. I'm sure glad they took care of the alligator in the elderly couple's yard. I'm sure it would be a rather bit of a shock to go out to get the mail and see an 11-foot alligator keeping you from your bills and advertisements. I'm sure this would be upsetting even if the alligator was carrying a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Below is a link to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment