Sunday, September 29, 2019

Computers are Responsible for the Inactivity of Americans. A Real Story



Things are different now from when I was a kid. Back then there were no computer games and no home computers. There was no such thing as a smartphone and if you wanted to have fun or talk on the phone, it usually involved some type of physical activity. Our world was limited to the real world and television was only interesting on Saturday mornings when you could watch the latest cartoons. It appears Americans are becoming more inactive and part of the blame is on computers. I would like to point out that I've never had a computer tackle me, throw me in a chair and force me to use it. I'm sure it's possible a line of just such computers could coming soon, but they are not here now. I will go with Americans increasingly not taking responsibility for being sedentary and are putting part or all of the blame on computers.

Over almost a decade, average daily sitting time increased by roughly an hour, to about eight hours for U.S. teens and almost 6 1/2 hours for adults, according to the researchers. That includes school and work hours, but leisure-time computer use among all ages increased too.


I'm amazed at these statistics. Not because I don't believe they're accurate, but because it's possible to have your computer needs met with a phone at whatever space you occupy. I'm sure it will eventually evolve into robbers and people communication over their phone and never meeting in person.

The text exchange would be interesting.

This is a robbery. I'm too busy to meet you in person, but I will tell you where to leave your money. Do what I say and you won't get hurt. Here is my simulated gun pointed at you. I'm not afraid to use it.

I'm too tired to get out my money. I have an app for screaming and running from robbers and I'm going to use it.

I'm warning you to not be a hero. You don't want the virtual police involved with what is happening between us. I have a robber app that I'll use to chase you down in the cyber world and then take your money from you. I may even give you a few hits in your virtual head to make my point.

You can't get away with this. I'll report you to the virtual police and they will find you and arrest you.

Until they get here, you better give me your money or I will beat the virtual life out of you.

Okay, you win. I'll leave my money here, but I'm too lazy to go home.
That's okay, I'm too lazy to pick it up, so I'll have a friend get it.

Okay.


Everything we found is concerning,” said lead author Yin Cao, a researcher at Washington University’s medical school in St. Louis. “The overall message is prolonged sitting is highly prevalent,” despite prominent health warnings about the dangers of being too sedentary.

I can just see telling people who sit around on their computer all day they should get up and take a walk. They may respond by saying they've taken a long virtual walk, so they have had their exercise. When you try to explain they need to physically get up and walk outside, I bet some may begin to experience computer withdrawal symptoms. In order to mitigate the symptoms, smartphones help them travel beyond their computers. The only problem is they probably so busy looking at their smartphone they walk into buildings, lamp posts and other people. This is why they consider walks in the real world to be very dangerous and prefer virtual walks instead.

Studies have shown that prolonged periods of sitting can increase risks for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers. U.S. activity guidelines released last fall say adults need at least 150 minutes to 300 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous activity each week, things like brisk walking, jogging, biking or tennis. Muscle strengthening two days weekly is also advised. Immediate benefits include reduced blood pressure and anxiety and better sleep.


How about we take a person's computer and smartphone. We place them at a distance and tell them if they don't get there first, someone will take their computer or smartphone. I believe this could result in a person doing 300 minutes of vigorous activity. Then they are told if they don't get to their computer or smartphone in time, the hard drives will be removed and they must then catch the person who has them. I'm sure we would see some Americans start biking, walking or jogging like a velociraptor was behind them. This may lead to a new reality show called Find Your Tech or one called Locate Your Tech Before It's Too Late. I'm sure this could at least start out as a fun channel on YouTube. It may defeat the purpose as many of these people could spend a lot of time sitting and watching videos of these programs.

The researchers analyzed U.S. government health surveys from almost 52,000 Americans, starting at age 5, from 2001-2016. Total sitting time was assessed for teens and adults starting in 2007. The results were published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association.


I suppose this is based on surveys concerning sitting time. Did they call people and ask if they were sitting? Did they ask them how much time they spent sitting? It would take a lot of resources to maintain contact with 52,000 people for 15 years.

This is the sitting survey. How much did you sit today?”
I'm tired of these surveys. What did I say last time?”
You said you sit quite a bit. Have you changed much?
Yeah, I'm 15 years older and don't have time to take sitting surveys. So whatever.”
Has your sitting increased or decreased?”
Should that include my time spent in the bathroom?”
I don't know.”
Well, call me back next year when you do know. Bye.”

Could this type of inactivity lead to a new type of rehab industry? Could we see new organizations created such as Tech Addicts Anonymous (TAA)? Would there be Tech Watchers (TW) or others? They may encourage regular visits to the real world where they can learn about real things in the world. I'm sure the more time they spend in the real world, the easier it will become for them to exercise in it.

Here is a link to the story.

https://wtop.com/tech/2019/04/americans-getting-more-inactive-computers-partly-to-blame/

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer



No comments:

Post a Comment