Sunday, September 8, 2019

Hunger and Anger Can Combine to Make a Person Hangry. A Real story



I will always be the first person to admit that when I'm hungry, I can become rather unpleasant. This often happens when I've waited too long, didn't go to the grocery store or my food is taking too long to get to me at a restaurant. According to a study, this situation could cause a rational person to become a beast. They refer to it as hangry. I think it is a ridiculous word that for some illogical reason found its way into dictionaries. I wonder if you're happy and full you could be considered “hapull” or if you're hungry and sad are you considered to be “hungrad?” If you're thirsty and hungry could you be considered “thirstgry?” If any of these words end up in the dictionary, remember I invented them.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

Researchers with the University of North Carolina set out to discover the mechanisms behind this physical/emotional conundrum. They say it is a result of a combination of things, not just a plummet in blood sugar levels. It is something like a pot of biology, personality and environmental cues that boils over. And if a watched pot never boils, being a good observer might be part of the cure.

I must admit, the image of a pot of biology by itself is not appealing. Boiling environmental and personality cues are also not something I want to spend too much time thinking about during my life. The main thing to realize is this research was conducted on people being hungry and angry. A condition as old as mankind. I don't know if their research will solve this problem, but it did result in a new word being placed in the dictionary. No matter what happens, they can say their research at least provided a new word to describe old problems.


We’ve all felt hungry, recognized the unpleasantness as hunger, had a sandwich and felt better. We find that feeling hangry happens when you feel unpleasantness due to hunger but interpret those feelings as strong emotions about other people or the situation you’re in.”

I agree. When I'm experiencing the unpleasantness of hunger, I have some very strong emotions toward the person standing in front of me who is clueless as to what is on the menu and can't make up their mind about what they want to order. I can turn into a bit of a beast as this confused person who is in front of me wants to talk about their cousin Edna's gallbladder surgery with the person behind the counter rather than decide what they want to have for lunch. In this situation, I turn into a pot of boiling over biology turned into a hangry beast because of environmental conditions. In other words, I don't tolerate self-absorbed idiots who can't comprehend there is a line of people behind them waiting to order their food. Maybe, it's just me. I don't know. Could I be frustrated and upset or fruspset?


To learn more about the lead-up to hangry, researchers set up two online experiments with 400 participants who were first shown an image that was intended to create positive, negative or neutral emotions. Then they were shown an ambiguous image of a Chinese pictograph and asked to rate it on a seven-point scale from pleasant to unpleasant. Participants also rated their hunger level during the experiment.


A Chinese pictograph? What was in the pictograph? Could it have been lo mein, hot and sour soup, fried rice or General Tso's Chicken?

(Sarcasm Alert)

An experiment involving 400 people looking at pictographs and rating their emotions has to be the most sound science available. What if the people were eating as they were doing the rating? Wouldn't that impact the results? I'm sure things would be different if they looked at the pictographs waiting to get food and standing behind a clueless person discussing their cousin Edna's gallbladder surgery instead of ordering. I'm sure using people who are fruspset would impact the results.


A second experiment was undertaken in a laboratory setting with 200 university students. Some of the participants were asked to arrive in a fasting state while others were told to eat beforehand. Some of the students were given a writing exercise that would force them to focus on their emotions. Then all became players in a real-life scenario sure to stir plenty of emotions.

(Sarcasm Alert)

If you want to provide some earth-shattering discoveries, I guess it all begins by asking college students to arrive hungry and do a writing exercise. I'm sure some of the emotions they were experiencing could be anxiety at waiting to finish the writing exercise so they could get paid for being part of the experiment. Anticipation at what they were going to eat with the money they were going to get for being part of the experiment. There could be boredom because many college students do writing exercises hungry depending on if they like cold pizza or not. The embarrassment at the thought they have sunk so low they're willing to be hungry when doing a writing exercise to make a little money could also affect their emotions.

Not surprisingly, hungry participants were more likely to report such negative emotions as feeling stressed and hateful, even when they were not specifically focusing on their own emotions. They also felt that the researcher who popped into the room was harsh and judgmental.

I wonder if the researchers popped in the room and were eating a sandwich? Maybe the researchers did this and talked about how good the sandwich was and how the hungry college students looked a little famished. They may have then told the college students the places nearest to them where they could buy food just closed. This could turn a college student into a Hangry Hulk.

Below is a link to the story.







No comments:

Post a Comment