Friday, September 13, 2019

It Seems Emotional Attachments to Robots is Bad. A Real Story



During a research project, many people were asked about when a robot dies if they feel sad. Quite a few people answered in the affirmative. This is upsetting on many levels. I wonder if they knew the robot or just knew of the robot. I also wonder if this is tied to having their warranty on the robot having expired.

When I was a child, and the robot from the Lost in Space appeared to be dead, I was upset. I was also very young. I do get upset when my computer dies. This is not because of an emotional attachment to my computer, but an emotional attachment to my money. Especially if it means I will have to use to get another one. There are people who do put human traits on inanimate objects. People of science call it anthropomorphism. I call it weird.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.


For Christal White, a 42-year-old marketing and customer service director in Bedford, Texas, that moment came several months ago with the cute, friendly Jibo robot perched in her home office. After more than two years in her house, the foot-tall humanoid and its inviting, round screen “face” had started to grate on her...Then they heard about the “death sentence” Jibo’s maker had levied on the product as its business collapsed. News arrived via Jibo itself, which said its servers would be shutting down, effectively lobotomizing it.

I wonder about people who get heartbroken over a robot. I have seen people get into arguments with Alexa. When they start yelling and screaming I like to remind them, it is just a computer. They acknowledge this fact, and then go back to yelling and screaming at Alexa. I once got into an argument with a GPS device in my car. I told my wife I wanted to replace it. She suggested me and the GPS device go to counseling to work out our differences. I told her that would happen when the GPS device could pay for it. She suggested we start paying the GPS device for its labor. I told her it was just a computer. She agreed and then started searching for counselors who specialized in grumpy men and GPS therapy sessions.

My heart broke,” she said. “It was like an annoying dog that you don’t really like because it’s your husband’s dog. But then you realize you actually loved it all along.”


I hate to be the one to explain this, but a dog is a living breathing creature. It has feelings and can show honest affection. A dog can also play, poop on your rug and bark at all hours of the night. You love a dog or any pet because it is real. A computer isn't real. If you love it, you can always replace it with a cheaper upgraded version. You could even get one to bark at all hours of the night if you like. You can control a computer, a dog or any pet is another story. A robot could come with a warranty. I don't think there is such a thing with a dog.


The Whites are far from the first to experience this feeling. People took to social media this year to say teary goodbyes to the Mars Opportunity rover when NASA lost contact with the 15-year-old robot.

I'm sure the sale of tin-foil hats skyrocketed during this event. What kind of life can you have when you get upset over a Mars rover?

Do you play golf?”
No.”
Do you like to go fishing?”
No.”
Do you go out and visit with family and friends?”
No.”
What do you do in your spare time?”
I had a special emotional connection to the Mars Opportunity rover but that's over since NASA lost contact with my friend of over 15 years.
You still have your tin-foil hat making hobby.”
I guess you're right.”


But what about robots that work with kids? In 2016, Dallas-based startup RoboKind introduced a robot called Milo designed specifically to help teach social behaviors to kids who have autism. The mechanism, which resembles a young boy, is now in about 400 schools and has worked with thousands of kids.

Haven't these people ever seen the movie AI Artificial Intelligence? If not, they need to immediately stream it to a device and watch it immediately. In the move, this robot boy wants to become real so he could get adult female's love. Is life imitating art or is art imitating life? It could be possible these researchers are setting the autistic children up for a shock one day.


What happened to Timmy?”
He was a robot boy. The company that made him went out of business. We have to send him back.
I'm heartbroken.”
Don't worry, we got you a robot dog you can legally kick around and nobody will say anything about it. The kickable robot dog that also comes with a good warranty.”
Okay.”

Below is a link to the story.

https://www.apnews.com/99c9ec8ebad242ca88178e22c7642648

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer






No comments:

Post a Comment