Saturday, September 7, 2019

Faking Vacations With Professionally Edited Photographs. A Real Story



I realize that my life does not involve traveling around the world to visit glamorous places. I may travel a few hundred miles on vacation or to see a friend. On a rare occasion, I could take a flight to a popular tourist location. I probably take a few pictures of me next to a fountain, near the hotel or with the large mouse the place is known for having. I'm okay with knowing a trip around the world or spending months traveling through Europe, the Orient or Caribbean just doesn't fit well within my budget. I know my friends won't think less of me. I know they'll still invite me over to their place for grilled burgers and beer as long as my wife brings her much-loved pasta salad. It seems there are people who feel so much social pressure to go on vacation, they've decided to create fake photographs of themselves visiting different places around the world. Not only are they willing to show people fake photographs, but they're also willing to pay to have it done.

Wow, here is a picture you at the Iditarod in Alaska wearing shorts and a T-shirt.”
Yeah, the cold doesn't really bother me.”
Oh.”

Here are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

Looking to live the glamorous, well-traveled life, and stir envy among your Instagram followers, but can’t afford it? Well now you can have a photo of yourself digitally altered to make it seem like you can.
A Nebraska-based photo-editing service named Fake A Vacation lets users send in snapshots to have them superimposed onto fake backgrounds. Options include a sandy beach in Maui, the rushing waters of Niagara Falls, even the Grand Canyon at sunset.


I can imagine someone doing something like this in a lot of different places. I'm a bit shocked that it's a business. I am also a bit surprised it's located in Nebraska. I thought those Cornhuskers held themselves to a higher standard. I hope you don't go there to purchase corn and only get a picture of corn. I would find that upsetting. I wonder if they would offer people a chance to have a fake background on the International Space Station. I'm sure you would have to be a master at inventing stories to pull that one-off.

You were on the International Space Station?”
Sure, here is a picture of it.”
Why are you holding a can of beer and don't have on any astronaut gear?”
It was my day off.”
This looks a lot like when you were at the picnic at our house over the summer.”
Guess I have a habit of posing the same way for pictures.”
Are you sure you were permitted to have beer on the International Space Station?”
Of course, I'm of legal drinking age, why not?”
Good point.”


They fake it … sometimes because the actual vacation is too expensive, so they plan this way or sometimes they do it to get others envious,” says Tom Eda, who leads marketing and support for Fake A Vacation, adding that others have purchased faux vacation pics because they had to cancel their trip last-minute.

Fake A Vacation was founded in 2017, simply because there was demand for this service.

There is something very psychologically unhealthy here. I can't afford to have the vacation to impress others so I won't go, I'll just buy fake pictures to show everyone. I know faking an accomplishment is nothing new. This reminds me of a very formal dance when I was in college. One guy couldn't get a date, so he put a girl's sweater on the back o a chair and kept telling everyone his date was in the bathroom. I once saw someone driving a rather nice car. They told me all about it and even took me on a drive. I found out later it was owned by a friend visiting their parents. It just seems technology has been invented to make this sort of thing easier to pull off. Faking vacations, faking resumes, faking social media, I suppose the market of services to help delusional losers fake their way to social acceptance could be expanding.


Customers order their photo packages online; once it’s processed, they receive a link to send in photos. Fake A Vacation staff will suggest attire to wear in the pictures, which are then superimposed onto other backgrounds. Packages start at $19 and are processed within three business days.

I like how the business covers every aspect of the experience of creating a fraud. Details are important, and I can just imagine you wouldn't want to wear the wrong clothes to create a phony photograph. I do wonder why they can't just superimpose a person's head on another person's body in a popular vacation spot. This could make their customers appear to be on a vacation they can't afford with a body they don't have. I say if you're going to fabricate a vacation, make certain nothing is real.

Here is a link to the story.



Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is a little funny. Check out my book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer





No comments:

Post a Comment