Sunday, August 18, 2019

Gymtimidation Keeps People From Going to a Gym. A Real Story



I have never had a body that people were amazed to see. If they were amazed, it was because they felt I should weigh much more after seeing me consume chicken wings and drink beer on the half-off chicken wings and beer night at a local bar.

I have also gone to gyms and watched the muscle-bound guys walking around and working out with entire weight-lifting machines up over their head doing reps to impress all those around them.

Hey, where did the weight lifting machine go?”
Sorry, I have a few more reps to go before I go and put down. I'm then going put my Honda Accord on my back and walk home.”
Okay, I can wait.”
Good.”

I believe feeling intimidated by such people is normal. It never kept me from going to a gym. I always believed they may be able to do reps with entire weight-lifting machines, but I would be more than a match with chicken wing and beer consumption.

It's obvious not everyone has the same level of pride in their food and beer consumption as myself. A study was done concerning people who are intimidated by exercising at a gym. Psychologists have even given it a neat psychologist-type name. It's called “Gymtimidation.” This is for real.

Here are some excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.



Gymtimidation is real: One in two Americans have been found to be intimidated at the thought of working out at a gym. The study of 2,000 Americans looked at people's fitness routines and habits and found that as many as 50 percent feel the idea of working out among other people in a gym environment is a daunting prospect. A further 31 percent admit to feeling anxious when thinking about trying to get into shape overall.

Huh? I don't know, but I would say if working out in a gym environment is daunting and you feel anxious about getting into shape, you may lack a bit of drive and determination.

You want to get into shape, but you can't work out with people in a gym environment?” “Getting into shape makes me feel so anxious. It's not my fault I'm not in shape. It's the people at the gym, the gym and working out.”
So, are you content to sit around with a body you hate and blame it on everyone else but yourself?”
“Hey. I have a condition called Gymtimidation. It's not my fault. I'm a victim here.”
Are you going to spend any money on exercising?”
I can't afford it. It's costing me a lot of money to get therapy for my Gymtimidation condition.”
Oh.”



The study, conducted by OnePoll in conjunction with Isopure, examined the fitness habits and trends of 2,000 Americans, and found that 37 percent of those who have never worked out think they are too unhealthy to even start exercising.

They spoke with people who feel they're too unhealthy to even start exercising. This is like speaking with an alcoholic who says he's too drunk all the time to ever be sober. Maybe it's not their health that is the issue. It could be their attitude.



When it comes to the intimidation factor, it’s not just in the gym where this feeling is prevalent, either. Thirty-six percent reveal that running outside is more intimidating than starting an exercise routine.

I think if someone is intimidated by running outside, it could be a motivation to run faster so people don't see them. Are these people who run on treadmills or just don't run because they can't afford to have the right equipment for getting exhausted and sweaty? Maybe they're intimidated by running outside because someone running after them may catch them?

Of the people that have conquered their fears, 47 percent still admit to having feelings of intimidation while at the gym. And it turns out that 32 percent of those who experience intimidation at the gym do so when they are exercising near someone who is extremely fit. Another 17 percent experience intimidation when exercising in front of the opposite sex, while a further 15 percent experience intimidation during their actual exercise routine.



I've never felt intimidated when exercising near someone who is very fit. I always figure this person should thank me. With the way I look when I exercise, I'm making them look really good. It's always been uncomfortable exercising around the opposite sex. I'm sick and tired of their looks of shock, nausea, disgust and wondering why I'm in the female Zumba class. It gets uncomfortable. I'm never intimidated by the actual exercise routine. I'm so used to the laughter from others in the gym it no longer bothers me.

Going to the gym is never easy. I have a long list of reasons I don't go. There is cost, time, allergic reaction to sweating, exhaustion associated with thinking about exercising and now there is Gymtimidation. I'm feeling more fit after just reading about this study.

Here is a link to the story.


Here is a funny video from It is a Glorious Day.

It is called: Imagining Fitness. Special Guest: Clarissa The Cackling Egg Carton





No comments:

Post a Comment