Thursday, August 22, 2019

Study Done to Show Cats Know When You Call Their Name. A Real Story




It seems that researchers in Japan have performed experiments that could forever change the way society views feline pets. Japanese researchers now have scientific evidence that shows cats know the difference in the words a person speaks to them. I wonder what type of conversation took place to fund experiments with the goal of determining if cats can distinguish between words people speak to them.

We just got significant funding to perform experiments into something that could forever alter our perceptions of the world.”
Are we going to discover a cure for cancer?”
No.”
Are we going to find a new drug that could eliminate heart disease?”
No.”
How about finding a way to do away with the effects of cardiopulmonary disease?
No.”
What are we going to be researching?”
We're going to perform experiments to prove domestic house cats can distinguish what people say to them.”
Why?”
A cat food conglomerate will be funding our experiments.”
Oh.”

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

Hey Kitty! Yes, you. A new study suggests household cats can respond to the sound of their own names.
No surprise to you or most cat owners, right? But Japanese scientists said Thursday that they’ve provided the first experimental evidence that cats can distinguish between words that we people say.

I'm sure the cats loved this idea.

Hey Morris, those Japanese researchers are saying stuff to us again.”
I know what they're doing and it's annoying.”
What should we do?”
I simply start making sounds like I'm about to cough up a hairball.”
Then what happens?”
The go into a panic trying to put something under me to catch the hairball.”
Do you have that many hairballs?”
Of course not, but I tell you that's not the point.”
What is the point?”
They need to be reminded of who is actually in charge.”
Oh.”



I wonder what it is like talking to other people scientists about doing such work.

I'm working on some a new type of jet fuel.”
I'm working on a new type of metal for space travel.”
I'm working on finding a way to help people be happier.”
What are you working on?”
I'm going to prove that cats can recognize sounds people speak to them.”
It's those types of scientific experiments that could improve society for many generations into the future..”
Are you being sarcastic?”
Meow.”

Atsuko Saito of Sophia University in Tokyo says there’s no evidence cats actually attach meaning to our words, not even their own names. Instead, they’ve learned that when they hear their names they often get rewards like food or play or something bad like a trip to the vet. And they hear their names a lot. So the sound of it becomes special, even if they don’t really understand it refers to their identity.



I suppose people must be careful to use the correct treat voice, and the correct play voice with their cats. I'm sure that one simple mistake could really mess things up for a cat owner.

Where is kitty?”
Hiding.”
Why?”
I wanted to give her a treat, but I accidentally used my vet office visit voice.”
I suppose when you want to take her to the vet you'll have to use your treat voice.”
Good suggestion.”

Saito and colleagues describe the results of their research in the journal Scientific Reports. In four experiments with 16 to 34 animals, each cat heard a recording of its owner’s voice, or another person’s voice, that slowly recited a list of four nouns or other cat’s names, followed by the cat’s own name.

I'm sure the cats were looking at these researchers and wondering when they'll get their treats. I bet every cat is bored and looking for things on a table to knock over. I believe there were cats involved in the experiment who kept looking at the researchers and annoyed at listening to recordings.

When the cats heard their name, they probably felt like yelling, “I'm a cat, not a dog, maybe you should get my slippers if I had any.”



Monique Udell, who also studies animal behavior at Oregon State, said the study shows “cats are paying attention to you, what you say and what you do, and they’re learning from it.”

I wonder if any of these researchers are cat owners? A cat owner knows cat's don't really care about much. They eat, sleep, purr, knock things off a table, climb blinds, claw furniture, use the litter box and call it a day.

If this research goes well, I wonder what they will try to discover next. Could it be a cure for catnip addiction? I suppose the research possibilities of any project are always as endless as its funding.

Here is a link to the story.

http://time.com/5564454/cats-names-study/ 

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is a little funny. Check out my book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer




No comments:

Post a Comment