Thursday, October 24, 2019

Self-driving Vehicle Pulled over by Police Officer. A Real Story



Technology is certainly changing things. I can remember when only people drove cars. Should a person driving the car have disobeyed a traffic law, they were given a ticket by a police officer who caught them. This was a time when people came up with a variety of excuses for breaking traffic laws. Police officers have heard everything from people were speeding because they needed to get to a bathroom or they did a wrong turn because their friend told them it was okay and more. I was once pulled over by a police officer who asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I told him I wasn't a betting man, but I bet he was going to tell me. I quickly learned wit and humor are not good to use when being given a traffic ticket.

Today, technology has provided an additional problem for law enforcement officers who are dedicated to protecting people from vehicles breaking traffic laws. They are called self-driving vehicles. Does this mean a vehicle has to worry about getting points on its driving license? Will the insurance provider for self-driving vehicles raise the insurance rates if the vehicle is given a speeding ticket? I do wonder who will provide a law enforcement officer with a drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.


A self-driving shuttle got pulled over by police on its first day carrying passengers on a new Rhode Island route.

Providence Police Chief Hugh Clements said an officer pulled over the odd-looking autonomous vehicle because he had never seen one before.

"It looked like an oversized golf cart," Clements said.

I'm sure it was an interesting conversation when the police officer told his dispatch he was asking permission to pull over a vehicle that looked like an oversized golf cart. I'm sure he made his case when he told dispatch it was on the road and not a golf course.

How would you feel if you were on a driverless shuttle and it got pulled over by the police?

Excuse me, where is the driver?”
There isn't one. It's a driverless vehicle.”
What are you doing on the vehicle?”
I'm the passenger using it to get to a stop.”
If this vehicle gets into an accident, there won't be a driver to file a lawsuit against.”
You're right, let me off of this thing.”


The shuttle offers free rides on a 12-stop urban loop that links to a train station Each vehicle holds six people, including an attendant who takes control when the self-driving technology falls short, such as on difficult left turns with oncoming traffic.

This could lead to an interesting conversation.

Could I see your drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance.”
Okay, but I wasn't driving the vehicle.”
Who was driving the vehicle?”
The vehicle was driving itself. I told the vehicle it was making an illegal turn, but did this vehicle listen to me? It didn't and now look what happened. I think you should give the vehicle a ticket and teach it a lesson.”
Since your the only human here, I think I'll give you a ticket.”
Well, there are humans who are associated with the operation of this vehicle, so maybe everybody should get a ticket.”
You are making me suspicious. You don't want to have a law enforcement officer suspicious of you. It would be a mistake.”
Will the vehicle have to show up to court with me when I challenge the ticket?
You'll have to ask the judge.”

In a part of New England known for impatient and aggressive drivers, local officials have braced themselves for how motorists will react to the slow-moving vehicles. Built by Minnesota-based Polaris Industries, the vehicles have a glass roof and resemble a tiny bus, but with seats that snugly face each other.


How frustrating for New England drivers to display their creative use of hand signals to another driver only to realize, there is no other driver. I'm sure the anger they feel could only be increased by hurling unique expletives at a fellow driver and discovering they are wasting their creative swearing on a driverless vehicle. I may get angry at a driverless vehicle simply because it has snugly facing seats. I don't know what is considered snugly facing, but I think it's deserving of some swearing.


Officials chose a route that has little traffic but connects commuters from neighborhoods underserved by public transit to Amtrak, commuter rail and other bus stops. The pilot is partially funded from a government settlement with Volkswagen for modifying vehicles to cheat on emissions tests.

I suppose the advantage of having access to Amtrak is the train won't be pulled over by a police officer. If this was done successfully by a police officer, it would be worthy of an international news story. Maybe there is a thank you should be given to Volkswagen for cheating on their emissions tests. If they had been an honest company, and properly modified their vehicles, a policeman in Rhode Island may have never been able to pull over a driverless vehicle.

Below is a link to the story.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/rhode-island-cop-self-driving-car

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer






No comments:

Post a Comment