Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Human Brains Can Develop A Region For Pokémon Characters. A Real Story.



When my child was young Pokémon was very popular. There was the Pokémon shows, movie, games, books and many more. Much time was spent playing with different types of Pokémon cards. During my youth baseball was also huge. I spent quite a bit of time outside playing baseball, watching baseball games on television as well as listening to them on the radio. My room was filled with magazines about baseball and so many baseball cards I don't like to think about the money spent on them. It seems there is a big difference between a love of baseball and a love of Pokémon. Those who love Pokémon have a region of their brain dedicated to it. Nobody ever accused us dedicated baseball fans of having a region of our brain dedicated to it. We knew there was a region of our mind and heart dedicated to it. If they would have tried to study one of us, we would have been too busy doing something involving baseball to participate.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.


A partial answer comes from recent studies in monkeys at Harvard Medical School. Researchers there found that in order for regions dedicated to a new category of objects to develop in the visual cortex -- the part of the brain that processes what we see -- then exposure to those objects must start young when the brain is particularly malleable and sensitive to a visual experience.

I guess this makes perfect sense. I'm sure those all-knowing Harvard Medical School Researchers noticed these monkeys were insistent that the Pokémon character Chimchar be part of their game. I guess this means every time they saw a monkey they believed it to be Chimchar?


Look, it is Chimchar.”
That is not a monkey, it is the professor for this class.”
Is the professor named Chimchar?”
No.”
I bet the professor is at least a fire Pokémon.”
You did play that game a lot during your youth.”
You have no idea. I think I'm still in my youth.”
I believe you.”


Playing baseball at such a young age did help me develop an ability to catch fast moving objects, hit things with a bat and run around in circles. It's helped with being an adult in many situations. There is being the best hitter on the softball teams at work, running around in circles during my job and catching fast moving objects in my apartment thrown at me during an argument with a female I dated prior to meeting my wife.


Once funded, Gomez recruited adults who had played Pokémon extensively as children. He found 11, including himself and Michael Barnett, the lab manager at the time and a co-author on the study.

When the test subjects were placed inside a functional MRI scanner and shown hundreds of random Pokémon characters, their brains responded more to the images compared to a control group who had not played the videogame as children.

(Sarcasm Alert)

It is good to know there is funding available for researchers at Harvard Medical School to spend time in an MRI looking at Pokémon characters. I feel this is profound research designed to benefit mankind since it involved eleven people including two of the researchers. Future generations will look back and know without any lingering doubt that parts of their brain are dedicated to a video game they played as a child. This will probably be the basis for these future generations to provide a perfect society. I suppose past generations could have been hampered by the lack of such research. If only those of us who loved baseball could have benefited from such groundbreaking scientific research. I'm sure it was due to a lack of funding.


The site of the brain activations for Pokémon was also consistent across individuals. It was located in the same anatomical structure -- a brain fold located just behind our ears called the occipitotemporal sulcus. As best the researchers can tell, this region typically responds to images of animals (which Pokémon characters resemble).

It is amazing that human brain activation was the same as individuals viewing Pokémon characters. How interesting it is located in a section of the brain right behind the ear. I wonder if there is a part of the brain that is consistent with figuring out ways to get funding to spend time with a childhood video game? It may be the same part of the brain that tries to sell real estate in the Everglades to people with limited understanding of geography. Maybe its the part of the brain that helps telemarketers sell magazines to people whether they want them or not. I'm sure this type of research will require additional funding.


The new findings are just the latest evidence that our brains are capable of changing in response to experiential learning from a very early age, Grill-Spector said, but that there are underlying constraints hardwired into the brain that shape and guide how those changes unfold.

Makes you wonder what happens if a child was punished and had their Pokémon playing privileges revoke. They may excel at playing the game after eating all of the vegetables at dinner. Is it possible some children will grow up to not understand Pokémon is just a game?

I'm ready to join the Army.”
Are you proficient at handling weapons, explosives and are physically fit?”
I guess in a way.”
What do you mean?”
I've reached the highest level on Pokémon and I'm one of the best at battling.”
We have to talk.”

Below is a link to the story

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190506163644.htm 


Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer





No comments:

Post a Comment