Sunday, October 20, 2019

A Horse Will Remember a Person's Facial Expression. A Real Story



I have known people who are able to remember the names of individuals no matter how many people they meet. My ability to remember a new person's name is maybe ten seconds. I wish I could remember people's names. The good thing is most people forget my name so conversations can get interesting between me and someone who I have just been introduced to and neither of us can remember the one's name.

I'm sure you had a nickname in high school”
No, I'm sure you have a nickname at work.”
No, I forgot your name and we were introduced a few minutes ago.'
Oh good, I forgot your name also. Now, I don't feel so bad.”
What is your name?”
I don't know, but it's okay because I don't know the name of anybody else.”
Huh?”

A study has been done that shows a horse remembers the facial expressions of people they have previously seen. This is a good thing. They may know when someone who did not have Gax-X with their meal but should have used it.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

SUSSEX, England — Some people never forget a face. Apparently, neither do horses. A study by researchers at the University of Sussex and the University of Portsmouth found that horses can remember the facial expressions of people they’ve seen before.
The researchers believe horses use this ability to discern people who might be a threat to them.

I bet horses will be attracted to happy people, stay away from angry people and try and get as much food as possible from dumb people. Being able to determine the meaning of a person's facial expression is valuable. I learned early in my marriage to look for an escape route when my wife would give me the look. It is the expression a wife gives her husband clearly communicating he has done something wrong without saying it. Once a man has detected his wife having the look, fear overcomes him like an antelope that has just seen a hungry lioness. The only means of escape could be throwing chocolate and running the other way. It has saved me more than once.


For the study, the authors showed domesticated horses a photograph of an angry or happy human face. A few hours later, the real person seen in the photograph would interact with the horse in an emotionally neutral state. The horses showed distinct differences in subsequent responses when meeting the individual in person later the same day.

I wonder what the distinct differences the horses displayed? Did they run from the person with the angry expression? Were they calm with the person who had a happy expression? Did they see past the forced expressions and go get a person some Gas-X?

I can only imagine what it would be like with a horse from New York City.

Aye, why you got to go and look all angry and everything?”
Hey, you're a talking horse.”
Don't go getting all crazy about it. My great grandfather was named Mister Ed. You know what I mean?”
Making facial expressions were part of an experiment.”
Aye, I got your experiment right here. How about you go and get me some carrots.”
Why would I go and get you carrots?”
Because you ain't had your Gax-X, and I'm a talking horse that can tell anyone who will listen that smell ain't from me. We got a deal?”
The carrots are on their way.”
Pleasure doing business with you.”


Even though humans meeting the horses in person was in a neutral state during their interaction, the direction of the horses’ gaze proved to the research team that they perceived the person more negatively if they had seen a photo of them looking angry than if they saw a photo of the person looking happy.

(Sarcasm Alert)

They can tell if a horse knows a person was angry or happy because of the horses' gaze. I wonder what they can tell if the horse makes a loud whinny sound? Maybe researchers believe this is a sign the horse does not like a person's clothes and they are recommending the person try a new type of fashion. If a horse hits its hoof on the ground, this could mean the horse believes a person should try a new hairstyle. If a horse turns its back to a person and releases some of its feces, this could mean the horse finds this person disgusting and is ready to go on vacation. I'm sure there is a special horse gaze associated with many different things.


We know that horses are socially intelligent animals, but this is the first time any mammal has been shown to have this particular ability,” says co-lead author Dr. Leanne Proops.

I'm sure it is beneficial to society for horses to remember people's expressions. A horse will notice the joy on people's faces when they win a race, or the pain on a person's face when they lose a race. They will also notice the look on a person's face who hasn't taken their Gas-X and know to stay far away from them.

Below is a link to the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment