Sunday, September 15, 2019

Fear of Spiders Cured by Watching Spider-Man 2 Movie. A Real Story




There is research showing people who watched the movie Spider-Man 2 lost their fear of spiders. I suppose if this is effective it will be a good thing. It does make me wonder if watching the movie Willard will help decrease your fear of rats. Will watching the movie Jaws decrease your fear of being attacked by a shark? I must admit after seeing the movie Shrek, I must admit, it did leave me with an entirely new attitude concerning Ogres and talking donkeys.

Doctor, can you help me.”
What seems to be the problem?”
I have an intense fear of snakes.”
It's not a problem. I'm going to give you a prescription to watch the movies Snakes on a Plane, Anaconda and Mega Snake.”
Will that help me?
“If not, the medical profession will make quite a bit of money from prescribing you Valium as well as providing therapy sessions.”
Oh.”


A new study finds that watching “Spider-Man” can actually help ease one’s case of arachnophobia or fear of spiders.
Similarly, researchers from Bar-Ilan University and Ariel University in Israel say that watching the movie “Ant-Man” may also decrease symptoms stemming from the fear of ants, or myrmecophobia. All it took, in fact, was just a seven-second clip from each film to significantly reduce symptoms in study participants, the authors say.

I wonder who chooses the seven-second clip from a film?

I say we show them a film clip showing the spider biting a man.”
I don't agree. I say we show them a clip of him swinging from building to building.”
I'm afraid that could upset people who have a fear of heights or flying.”
If it cures them of their fear of spiders, it could also cure them of their fear of heights and flying.”
You have a good point. We just have to avoid showing them seven seconds of credits.”
That could cure them of fear of reading names racing across a screen.”
No, it may make them want to no longer be part of the study.”
Good point.”


For the study, the authors measured levels of arachnophobia, myrmecophobia, and insect phobia in general among 424 participants, and then had them watch various movie clips, including scenes from “Spider-Man 2” and “Ant-Man.” Participants also watched a seven-second general the opening scene from other Marvel movies, as well as a seven-second calming scene of nature.

How do you measure the level of insect phobias? Tell people to go into a room and release spiders and ants then see what happens? If they scream like their crazy that would probably rate as a high level of phobia. Should they scream how they're filing a lawsuit against the researchers, they may have a lower level of insect phobia. These people watched an opening scene from other Marvel movies. This makes me wonder if this is a study funded by Marvel. These researchers could be conducting future studies on how spending money on products and movies from Marvel can help you reach a state of euphoria like nothing you've ever experienced. It's good they included a calming scene from nature.

(Sarcasm Alert)

I'm sure we all know there are no spiders and ants in nature that could hurt anybody.


Researchers found that participants who watched the “Spider-Man 2” and “Ant-Man” clips experienced a 20% decrease in symptoms from their respective fears. But there was no change when they watched the generic Marvel opening scene nor from the nature clip, suggesting that exposure to the bug-themed superheroes were behind the positive effect.

It could also be caused by people being so focused on what happened in the movies, they forgot about their fears. Could it be that distraction is a good way to deal with myrmecophobia or arachnophobia? It could also be proof that people find watching generic Marvel openings and nature clips quite boring.

What are you doing with popcorn?”
Hey, I have an intense fear of popcorn. I want to test if eating it and watching Marvel movies can help me get over the symptoms of my fear.”
Okay, we'll play the movies.”
Oh, and could you skip the generic Marvel openings and nature clips? I think I”m over my fear of them.”
Okay.”


The authors tout the power of in-vitro exposure therapy for the study. That is, being exposed to something one is afraid of without actually exposing them directly to their fear. In this case, seeing a positive video related to spiders or ants, rather than having to experience an actual spider or colony of ants in person.

(Sarcasm Alert)

I suppose nothing helps a person deal with a fear of real spiders and ants than showing them humans who turn into these creatures. Who could be afraid of actual spiders in the real world after seeing a person dressed as Spider-Man spin webs, climb on the sides of buildings and fights bad guys? I'm sure watching a guy wearing a suit and becoming as small as an ant would eliminate any fears of ants. Even if it doesn't, Marvel has a great way to promote their movies to an audience of people with these phobias.

Below is a link to the story.

https://www.studyfinds.org/watching-spider-man-helps-cure-actual-fear-spiders/

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer




No comments:

Post a Comment