Friday, August 16, 2019

Fake Smiles in the Workplace Can Lead to Heavy Drinking. A Real Story


I'm sure we have all had to endure times at work when we felt forced to smile when we just didn't feel like it. Who among us at our job hasn't felt forced at one time or another to hide our anger, frustration or rage behind a smile? According to a new study, forcing a workplace smile could cause someone to engage in heavy drinking. I suppose there will be people telling themselves if they just hadn't faked so much smiling at work, they would not have a drinking problem.

You smile at work, you smile when we're drinking, you're always smiling. You must be a happy person.”
Not really, I got a Botox injection not too long ago and my facial muscles can't move out of a smile.”
That must be difficult.”
No, customers and co-workers seem to laugh when I yell and swear at them smiling.”
I suppose there is an upside to everything.”

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

Employees who work in the public eye who force themselves to smile for customers or hide feelings of annoyance may be susceptible to heavy drinking after hours, according to a new study. Researchers at Penn State and the University of Buffalo studied the drinking habits of employees who work in the public view. Some of the jobs studied include nurses, teachers or food service employee.



Oh, that's great. I think it may be upsetting to be with a nurse who smiles at you when you're in gut-wrenching agony. If they start laughing, I'd suggest they find another profession. (I know nurses are all very professional and this is simply a humorous exaggeration).

It makes sense for teachers.

I'm sure my little darling child is never a problem in your class at all. I'm sure we can agree any problems with his behavior are not my problem. It's probably the fault of the school. I'm sure that's why you're smiling right now.”
If I was to tell you why I'm smiling right now, I'd lose my job.”
Oh.”

A food service worker who is dealing with the things required of that job, and is constantly smiling, would worry me. I'd wonder if they were using some type of an illegal substance or did something to the food they don't want me to know about.

And now a word from a professor of psychology at Penn State, Alicia Grandey.



"Faking and suppressing emotions with customers was related to drinking beyond the stress of the job or feeling negative," said Grandey. "It wasn't just feeling bad that makes them reach for a drink. Instead, the more they have to control negative emotions at work, the less they are able to control their alcohol intake after work.

I could quit drinking any time I want.”
Why don't you?”
Because I spend my entire day at work controlling my negative emotions. This has resulted in me having less ability to control my drinking after work.”
I guess that's as good of a reason as any.”

I wonder if faking and suppressing emotions go beyond work? This is a common occurrence with parents trying not to become the parent-Hulk with their teenage children. It also happens with other family members. Sometimes an honest attempt at sobriety doesn't begin in some families until the holiday season is over on January 2.



Researchers used phone interview data from 1,592 of those U.S. workers. Data collection was supported by a National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism grant.

Phone interviews? (Sarcasm Alert) Oh, this is some real precise research. I wonder what the questions were like for this study.

Do you get really annoyed and angry at people at your work?”
Yes, but not as annoyed and angry as I do with people calling my home asking me to participate in a study.”
Do you smile and suppress or fake your emotions at work?”
Yes, and I especially do this when I'm called on the phone to participate in studies as well.”
Do you think suppressing or faking your emotions has led you to drink heavily?”
Yes, as a matter of fact, I'm drinking heavily right now.”
Thank you for your time.”


Researchers found a stronger link between surface acting and drinking with highly impulsive people who work in jobs that don't develop a relationship with the customers they have to interact with (for example, employees at call centers). People at these types of jobs are usually young and entry-level professionals who don't have the social or financial benefits that can outweigh the costs of having to "fake it" all the time, according to the study.

What does this mean?

Sir, you never smile since you took over the company.”
Hey, I don't have to fake it anymore. I'm not a young entry-level professional, and I have money. So, that means, according to recent studies, I get to scowl at anyone and everyone I want. I can be honest with my emotions and tell people what idiots and worthless human beings they are without the worry of drinking heavily.”
You still drink heavily.”
I'm still married and have a family. My life is not all that perfect.”
Oh.”



Employers may want to consider allowing employees to have a little more autonomy at work like they have some kind of choice on the job," Grandey said. "And when the emotional effort is clearly linked to financial or relational rewards, the effects aren't so bad.

What does this even mean?

Employees should take turns choosing where to go drinking after work?

Hey, you get to be a stealth employee from now on. Our customers won't see you or interact with you, but they'll know you work for us. No more need to spend the day with a fake smile. With this new position comes a significant raise. Now you can quit drinking heavily.
Well, you have me, it will take a long time to pay off my bar tab.”
Why are you still smiling?”
Now I'll have the money to engage in my favorite hobby.”
What is it?”
Making homemade alcoholic beverages.”
Oh.”

Here is a link to the story.


Here is a funny video from It is a Glorious Day

It is called: Getting Drunk From Food





No comments:

Post a Comment