Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Most Americans are Bored for a Third of the Year. A Real Story.



I am like most people and from time to time I get bored with things. This often happens when I'm stuck in a routine doing the same things at the same time day after day. This is when I know it's necessary to change the daily routine in my life. I'll have my breakfast outside instead of sitting inside. I'll have my afternoon snack at least fifteen minutes later than usual. I may even get really crazy and purchase a brand of coffee I've never tried before. When it comes to eliminating the boredom from my life, I know no boundaries.


It seems like I'm different than most Americans. My period of boredom will last a few days or a week or two at most. According to a survey, there are quite a few Americans who spend up to a third of the year feeling bored. How does this happen? Do people feel bored and just get into a routine being bored? What are they doing for the other two-thirds of the year they aren't bored? Could they just be boring people? I guess they haven't had the courage to change their brand of coffee or time of their afternoon snack. I accept that not everyone is as proactive as myself.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

For the survey, the researchers defined a boring day as one that involved simply no fun at all. After averaging out responses of all participants, they calculated that Americans experience 131 boring days annually.

They reached that number by converting the average “percentage of a typical week that is not fun/boring/dreaded” — which was 36% — into hours per week, or 60.48 hours. They multiplied that by 52 weeks in a year, then converted it into days: 131.04 boring or unfun days in a year.


So, it is just not a boring day, it is a double whammy of boredom and unfun. I wonder if they calculated days that were occupied with things that could be considered boring but fun. These are things such as watching a funny movie you've seen more than once because your friend ordered pizza from the best local pizza place. Could there be a day that is unfun, but not boring? Such as the day after you forgot to pick your wife up from the airport. I, ah, have no idea what that is like, but, ah, people who have had this experience tell me it is unfun but definitely not boring. So, I think these calculations need to be included in the final statistics of boring days. It will paint a more accurate picture concerning the depts of boredom and unfun for adults in our society.


Full-time, “adult” responsibilities, particularly work and parenting, appear to be sucking the fun out of American adults’ lives. The results showed that 60% of participants believe their life is just too “grown-up.” In fact, 73% miss aspects of what they remember from childhood, such as spending time with friends (50%), fewer responsibilities (52%), and attending birthday parties (25%).


(Sarcasm Alert)

What are we going to have now? An unfun crisis in America with panel discussions on how to address this national epidemic and how much taxes should increase to deal with it. Gee, life being too grown up must be a terrible thing. Will there be a national drive to include a roundabout and swings at every workplace? Generations of people for thousands of years have dealt with being an adult. I'm sure those people who lived through the depression and World War II felt terrible about things being so grown up for them. Missing aspects of childhood like not having responsibilities is great for children, but children can't drive, vote, consume adult beverages. Maybe the responsibilities associated with being an adult is a mixture of unfun, responsibilities, and independence. These could be considered some of the perks of things being too grown-up. I don't know people who stop attending birthday parties when they are adults. I find adult birthday parties a bit more fun and enjoy the ways they can become too grown-up.


Despite so much boredom, the survey showed that Americans still spend an average of $303 each month on fun activities or about $3,500 annually. For parents, that number balloons to about $5,000 on the year.

I like how they don't round off numbers when determining the amount of money people spend on fun activities, it is $303 a month. That averages out to $10.10 a day. I'm sure you may think you are having fun at $10 a day, but without that ten cents, it is probably just another boring and unfun day that is part of the third of the year you spend being bored.

I like how parents spend even more on having fun each year. I suppose parents are more interested in having fun than single people. Could it be they are more dedicated to having fun with their children? Does this mean boredom lessens when you have a family? Is having a family more fun or does it just cost more? Maybe parents have to invest more in fun as a parent because they feel their world requires them to be too grown-up. It could also be because their fun is more cost-effective for enjoying a lot of family discounts.


(Sarcasm Alert)

Their cost could be $416.66 a month. A small price to pay to have those special moments where they don't feel too grown-up. Isn't it worth eliminating the unfun and boring days that occur a third of the year? Should adult versions of twister be part of a tax refund program? It could lead to bored numerous adults roaming the world suffering the terrible effects of feeling too grown up and forced to deal with unfun in their world. We better do something before it becomes a national crisis.

Below is a link to the article.




No comments:

Post a Comment