Saturday, November 9, 2019

Man Claims Pink Beer Promotion Forced Him to Identify as Female. Sues Brewery. A Real Story



I suppose I'm fortunate to be a guy living inside a guy's body. It has worked out well for me during my life. I never feel the need or desire to identify as a female. I can't imagine a situation that would make me feel forced to do such a thing against my will. There are many females I love and respect. I have a wife, mother, and daughter. I just know I'm comfortable being a member of the male gender. It appears a man in the United Kingdom had a deep emotional response to a promotion by a craft beer brewer. He believed the beer brewer's promotion involving pink beer was making him feel forced to identify as a female. Who knew that pink beer was an elixir responsible for opposite gender identification? I don't know if I want to think about what would happen if a blue beer was offered as part of a promotion.

Below are some excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.


The so-called “beer for girls” was released in advance of International Women’s Day, and served as BrewDog’s attempt to appear interested in gender equality.

Pink IPA is BrewDog’s clarion call to close the gender pay gap in the UK and around the world and to expose sexist marketing to women, particularly within the beer industry,” it wrote in a blog post. “This is our overt parody on the failed, tone-deaf campaigns that some brands have attempted in order to attract women.”


Someone, please explain to me what is wrong with marketing beer to women? When I was single, beer marketed to women got my attention. I was a firm believer that women have the right to have beer marketed to them. I never considered it sexist marketing to women. I considered it a way for women to get an adult beverage designed for them. I supported many women having beer and even invested in it from time to time. Beer marketing to men is simple. It's beer, it's cheap and it will get you buzzed. In college, this would have been enough marketing of a beer for me to buy a case of it.

Aaand that brings us to Dr. Bower. For the few weeks that Pink IPA was available, customers who “identify as female”—BrewDog’s words—could get it for 20 percent less than the cost of a Punk IPA. The 27-year-old Bower was apparently so into this promotion, that he went to the BrewDog bar in Cardiff, Wales, and tried to order a £4 ($5) bottle.


I have seen many beer promotions. I have not been motivated beyond buying beer. I never argued with anyone about a beer being less filling or tasting great. I never believed that when it came to St. Pauli Girl, we either should put her on a pedestal, or a coaster. I'll go as far as to say I never believed that Staropramen helped me get a taste of Prague. I believe giving a discount on a pink beer to customers who identified as female was just a promotion. I will go as far as to say you may not have to actually identify as female for this beer promotion. You could just tell them you identify as a female to get a discount on beer, wink, wink, nod, nod. How would they know? I don't think the beer promotions come with some sort of gender identity test.

Can I have a discount for purchasing pink beer?”
Do you identify as a female?”
I love women so much I look at pictures of them all the time. I identify as a man who is willing to say he identifies as a female to drink discounted pink beer.”
Okay, here is your beer.”


Bower wasn’t satisfied with this answer, and he told BrewDog that he believed he’d been the victim of sex discrimination, and that he was willing to take them to court over it. When he didn’t get a response, he did that very thing, claiming damages for “direct discrimination and breach of the Equality Act 2010.”

It appears that Bower has a lot of time on his hands. Forget the discrimination against people in areas of employment, housing and more. He is waging a campaign so that all people everywhere can get the same discount when they purchase pink beer regardless of their gender.

(Sarcasm Alert)

I can only imagine the importance to society when it comes to equality in pink beer discounts. If craft brewers are permitted to offer discounts to one gender identification over the other, mankind could suffer. This could lead to such promotional events as ladies night at sporting events, or ladies night at different drinking establishments or ladies night at other retail outlets. Oh, there are already those things, so please don't tell Bower. I hope he never finds out about Mother's Day.


Judge Phillips also said that Bower had to feel “humiliated” and that it “wasn’t a pleasant experience” for him. Bower—who represented himself in court, because of course, he did—was awarded £1,000 ($1,254) in damages, which he plans to donate to a pair of different charities.

I'm sure this isn't the first time or first situation where Bower felt humiliated. A person who has nothing better to do with their time than getting upset over a discount for pink beer has probably had their fair share of unpleasant experiences. Maybe the craft brewer could have a new promotion that says People Go to Court Over Our Beer. They could then provide a discount for everyone who doesn't sue them.

Here is a link to the story.




No comments:

Post a Comment