Monday, November 4, 2019

Parents Believe Children at Age 5 Need to Consider Their Career Path. A Real Story.



If I were to use the word career path with my daughter when she was age 5, she would have ignored me and asked to watch Barney. I can't imagine a child who is 5 and trying to learn what is being taught to them at preschool or kindergarten considering their life's work. It would be difficult to explain to them how coloring and juice boxes aren't involved in choosing a career. At this age, they believe being a superhero or princess is a good career option.


There was a recent survey of parents that showed many of them believe this is the time in their child's life when career decisions should be made. This just lets me know that there are many parents who don't seem to grasp how there comes a time when a kid needs to be permitted to be a kid. Playing dress-up, coloring, exploring the world is a good thing. Trying to guide them on a career path at this age is a dumb thing. Makes me wonder if these parents regret their own career choices.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.

Perhaps not surprisingly, more than half (56%) of the 2,000 parents surveyed already have their own ideas for what their kids will be when they grow up. Three in four participants hope their children gravitate towards STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics) professions, with engineer, doctor, and web developer/programmer leading the way for the jobs they predict them landing.


So, these are parents who don't value people who fix their cars, build their homes, repair their plumbing and so many other things associated with a career in the trade professions. Our society could not function without people in the trade professions. I notice these surveyed parents also didn't want to have children who were entrepreneurs. I'm sure many of these parents are employed by someone who took on the challenges of starting and running a business.

Why don't you finish your degree in Sexuality Studies?”
I like working with tools. I fixed your car and dishwasher.”
How are you ever going to succeed in the world?”
I make more money than my siblings who have college degrees and I'm not drowning with student debt.”
This is not what we agreed to when you were five-years-old.”
Sorry.”

President of Marketing Communications at The Toy Association, in a statement. “As parents visit the toy aisle, they should first look for items that truly allow children to explore an area of science, technology, engineering or math and allow the children to use their imaginations. Most importantly, the toy must be fun for children to play with and captivate their interest. Learning through play should always be a fun experience!”


Maybe toys associated with working in the fast food industry could be for those who plan to have an art history degree. There could be a taxi cab driving toy for those who plan to get a degree in Canadian studies. Toys letting children play as if they are working in retail for those who get a degree in puppetry.

You are playing with stuffed animals. Why aren't you using the toy calculator I gave you so you can begin working toward your degree in engineering?”
I want some cookies.”
Do you realize your entire adult life could be impacted if you don't start working toward your engineering career.”
I want to be Superman.”
No, you want to be an engineer.”
I want to be fly and have x-ray vision.”
You can't do it. I know you're five-years-old, but it's time you begin to take life seriously.”
Can I go outside and dig in the dirt?”
At last you seem to be taking your future career as an engineer serious.”
No, I want to find bugs and scare my sister with them.”
Oh.”


But digital media is keeping kids from playing with these toys, parents say. Half feel competition with screens is the biggest challenge in the house when it comes to getting the kids to use their skill-honing toys and games.

(Sarcasm Alert)

Someone needs to tell these parents how to be parents. I think it is the parent who can limit their child's screen time and redirect them toward playing with toys. If you want your five-year-old child to begin working on their career as a future scientist, you need to bump up your game.



I want to play video games.”
Hey, you have been in this world for five years. You have successfully unlocked the mysteries of bathroom usage and know how to button your shirt, most times. It is time you start being serious about your science career.”
Can I go play T-ball?”
I'm sorry, but its time you walk away from the video games and playing baseball. You need to see the benefits of pursuing a career in science.”
Grandpa said scientists make a lot of money but baseball players can make millions of dollars every year for playing a game.”
You know, you're right, forget this science stuff, you need to learn how to throw a great curveball.”
What is a curveball?”
Get your baseball glove, we're going to the little league field. You'll learn about that and begin to pursue your career as a highly paid baseball player. It's never too early to begin training for a future as a professional athlete.”
Okay.”

Below is a link to the story.

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-children-start-thinking-about-career-age-five/

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer



No comments:

Post a Comment