Friday, August 9, 2019

A Nun MLB Baseball Card. A Real Story



There are many people who have played baseball over the years. Many of them have worked hard to get to the major leagues. One of the perks of making it to the big leagues is having your image on a baseball card. Things have changed a bit. It appears that if you are a nun in Chicago and throw out the first pitch during a major league game, you too can have your image on a baseball card. This is a real story.

Below are some excerpts from the story and my valuable insights are in italics.

It was Marian Catholic Night at Guaranteed Rate Field last August, and Sister Mary Jo Sobieck took the field to throw the first pitch for the Chicago White Sox.
The teacher from Marian Catholic High School in Chicago Heights bounced the baseball off her bicep, threw a strike, and became a national sensation.

I have seen nuns many times. I must say that seeing one bounce a baseball off her bicep and throw a strike in a major league baseball park is new to me. I wonder if her order was called “Our Lady of the Sacred Baseball Pitchers,” or “The Order of Blessed Fast Ball,” maybe it was called “Sisters of the Holy No-Hitter?”



In the latest stop on her journey to fame, Sobieck is appearing on a baseball card that will be sold in Topps trading card packs as a part of their Allen and Ginter series. The series features baseball players alongside celebrities and famous figures from other sports.

I just get an image of kids sitting outside a local store. They're chewing bubble gum and holding baseball cards. They are deep in the negotiation process of trading baseball cards. Maybe they're trading Catholic cards.

I got two nuns and a priest I'll trade you for a Cardinal.”
How about I give you a Cardinal and you give me two Bishops and a Jesuit priest.”
How about I give you a Mother Superior and you give me an Archbishop?”
I have a better idea. How about I give you two Deacons and a nun from Chicago who can bounce a baseball off her bicep and throw strikes and you give me your Pope card?”
It's a deal.”

Trading baseball cards may never be the same.



Sobieck is scheduled to sign some of her baseball cards on Monday. She said she plans to sign them how she signs passes for her students when they're late to class.

We are certainly living in a different time from when I was growing up. When I was a kid, the nuns didn't really get involved with sports. Today, there is a nun signing her own baseball card.

I'm so proud of my autographed baseball card collection. I've got autographed baseball cards of Mike Trout, Mookie Betts, Nolan Arendo and Francisco Lindor.”
Yeah, but do you an autographed baseball card of a nun who bounces baseballs off her bicep and pitches strikes?”
No.”
Well, I guess you really don't have much of a baseball card collection.”

I like how she is going to sign them the way she signs passes for students when they are late for class. How does she sign things otherwise?

This is my signature for late student passes. I also have a signature for students who act up in class, one for students who don't turn in their homework on time and one for students don't follow the rules.”
What's the difference?”
The hidden cryptic message I put in each one about how I could accurately throw a baseball at them after bouncing it off my bicep.”
Oh.”



Sobieck said Topps is paying her $1,000, which she plans to donate to a scholarship fund at Marian Catholic High School that's named after her. Lulgjuraj said Topps plans to release Sobieck's cards on July 17.

And some of the cards will even come with a "relic": a piece of one of Sobieck's veils.

I have been a baseball fan for many years. Quite a bit of my youth was spent collecting baseball cards. I can't imagine what I would have done with a baseball card that came with a piece of a nun's veil.

I got cherry bubble gum with my pack of baseball cards.”
I got grape bubble gum with my pack of baseball cards.”
I got a piece of a nun's veil.”
You are always so lucky.”

As I said, trading baseball cards may never be the same.

Here is a link to the story.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/sister-mary-jo-sobieck-nun-whose-perfect-first-pitch-went-viral-gets-her-own-baseball-card




Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is a little funny. Check out my book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer


DON'T FORGET TO GO BELOW AND CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE.

Here is a funny video from It is a Glorious Day.

It is called: Ekim and Crazy Sports that are for REAL





No comments:

Post a Comment