Friday, July 26, 2019

Criminal Agrees to Surrender If He gets 15K Facebook “Likes.” A Real Story




I know that social media is a very big thing right now. It is how millions of people communicate with one another on a daily basis. I confess to having a presence on social media. I am pleased when people like a post on my Facebook page. It feels as if I've produced something people think is worth taking the time to watch, read or even share. I don't really worry about the number of likes I get on a Facebook post. It seems there are other people who place a very high value to their presence on social media. I believe the number of likes these people get on Facebook can determine their blood pressure.

It seems the importance of getting recognition on social media has now entered into the world of law enforcement. A person who was a fugitive from the law agreed to turn himself into a Connecticut police department on one condition. He asked the wanted poster of him provided by the police department on social media get 15,000 likes on Facebook before he surrenders. I'm sure glad he didn't require people only post positive comments. I know some people on Facebook can be rather harsh. Maybe Facebook should start a private fugitive group so law enforcement and fugitives can work things out.

Below are excerpts from the article with my valuable insights in italics.


The Torrington Police Department detailed the bizarre situation involving 29-year-old Jose Simms — who is wanted on seven arrest warrants for failure to appear in court – in a Facebook post early Wednesday.

Here’s an interesting one,” a lieutenant with the department began the post.
Simms “negotiated with me earlier this week (Through Facebook) and has agreed to turn himself into Torrington Police if we can get 15,000 ‘likes’ on this post,” the online post read.

I have heard of people desperate for attention on social media, but I believe Mr. Simms may have taken it to an entirely new level. This could change how criminals operate and law enforcement responds to them. Could this someday lead to a man walking into a bank, going to a teller and giving her a note that says he has a gun but won't rob the bank if they can get a few thousand likes on his latest Facebook post? Will hostage negotiators be required by those holding the hostages to get likes and shares on the hostage taker's Pinterest account as well as Facebook account? Things could be really changing.


The suspect, who cops believe is somewhere in New York, initially wanted to turn himself in after receiving 20,000 “likes,” to which cops countered 10,000 and 15,000 was ultimately agreed upon, the lieutenant said.
It will be difficult but is doable,” the police official wrote as he pleaded for Facebook users to “please ‘like’ this post.”

I wonder if this would work in the business world.

I'll paint your house but you have to get my Facebook page 10,000 likes.”
Are you kidding? That is not a 10,000 Facebook likes job. How about 4,000 likes and 20 shares of your latest post.”
How about 8,000 likes and a thousand shares.”
I'll give you 6,000 likes and five hundred shares and that is my final offer.”
If you make it 6,500 likes and 600 shares you have a deal.”
It's a deal, but we should also discuss your payment.”
We'll worry about it later. We've got the important stuff out of the way.”


Simms even taunted police in the Facebook post, commenting: “Dam that’s a trash pick of me and only 13800 more likes to go nice job Torrington.”

The police department replied to Simms comment saying: “Jose, it’s the only one we had…hopefully, we will get a ‘good’ one soon.”

Some Facebook users got a kick out of the department’s modern-day way to catch a criminal.

I think Mr. Simms needs to realize the police are members of law enforcement and not a professional photographer's guild. I would have to say they can only post an image they have and probably didn't want him to provide a better picture of himself. I'm sure people on Facebook really enjoyed it. They're in a safe location, away from law enforcement as well as a fugitive and can offer their opinion in the cyber world.

I don't think this would work in my house.

It's your turn to do laundry.”
You just have to get me a few hundred more likes on my most recent post on Facebook post and it will be done.”
How about you get a few hundred more ways to like doing the laundry.”
I thought our marriage was about open discussions.”
Yeah, and I'll be more open to discussing whatever you want once you're done with the laundry as you promised.”
How about the likes on my Facebook post?”
How about your liking of not living in a house with a wife who is angry at you.”
Okay, but how about a few shares on Facebook?”

Due to the graphic nature of my wife's sign language, I won't tell you about the adult hand signals she was willing to share on my latest Facebook post.

Below is a link to the article.


No comments:

Post a Comment