Thursday, May 26, 2011

Christians See Images of Jesus and Virgin Mary in Food and Other Stuff




What is the one thing that separates Christians from the followers of the other major religions?  It’s not just having faith in the teachings of Jesus Christ and it’s more than believing in the resurrection and baptism.  Christians may be the only religious group of people who actually get media attention by seeing images of their Lord and savior in food and other items. 

I don’t recall people being interviewed on television for seeing Buddha in their cheese sandwich.  Has a Hindu ever seen Vishnu in their aloo tikki?  In this regard, we Christians stand alone.



Let’s take the case of Melinda Solis from Starr County, TX.  She saw a brown spot on a flour tortilla and felt it was a depiction of the image of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus, similar to a Byzantine depiction of the figures.  She plans to keep the religious symbolic spotted tortilla.  She isn’t sure if she’ll have her priest look at it.  If I was her priest I would feel slighted because a chance to see a picture of baby Jesus and the Virgin Mary on a tortilla would make my day.

            “These are great burritos.  Where is the tortilla with the picture?
            “It was right here.”
            She turns around and after seeing no tortillas on the table then looks at the priest with a horrified expression.
He finishes off the burrito as she screams “Nooooooooooo.”

I’m sure future generations may see this item featured on a segment of Antiques Road Show.

How would any such meal be complete without dessert?  James Burrows of Toledo, Ohio claims to have a piece of hardtack candy that has the images of baby Jesus and the Virgin Mary.  He made the discovery at a grocery store where he works.  He claims it was a very special experience since it took place during the holidays.  I guess any other time of year it would’ve been very routine.



None of this compares to Nelly Noden of Devon, England.  Ms. Noden was chewing some gum.  She put the chewed gum on a mantelpiece in her house and went to get something to eat.  (I don’t think I want to visit her house).  Upon returning she says the chewed gum looked like Jesus.  I can only imagine what an entrepreneurial evangelist would do with something like this.

“In order to keep us able to spread the good word we ask you, fellow believers if you will consider buying some of our first edition holy gum.  When you’re finished experiencing our heavenly flavors don’t throw it away because then you can look at it and see the image of Jesus.  Be sure to also try our twelve apostle flavors including our red hot Judas cinnamon gum.”

To show the world that Jesus is indeed everywhere a British plumber named David Howlett was at an Indian restaurant and claimed he saw the figure of Jesus in the blackened spots of some nan bread.  There were others who also saw the bread and pointed to the facial features complete with beard and flowing hair.  The restaurant owner said the bread was baked in a clay oven like all his other bread.  There is no information as to what exactly happened to the bread.  If this Jesus sighting causes a serious increase in business I bet we’ll see many Indian restaurants advertising specials with their Jesus nan bread.  Heck, why don’t all restaurants put Jesus tortillas, nan bread, candy and gum on their menus just to make sure nobody feels left out.



The thing about Christians is we don’t just see our religious symbols in food.  Mary Massa of Florida claims she saw Jesus in a bruise near her elbow after two routine blood tests left her bruised.  Her family has a sense of humor about the situation and dubbed it ”Our Lady of Hematoma.”  I once got a nasty bruise from a nurse who made a mistake when drawing my blood.  My bruise didn’t resemble Jesus but I did use his name very creatively when I was in pain.



Rosin McCourt from Coventry, England says a bizarre brown stain appeared on one of her tea towels and shows the face of Jesus Christ.  She claims she had not seen the stain before she put it in for washing.  McCourt felt it was a strong spiritual sign.  I wonder if it’s also a sign she need s to buy a better detergent.

I don’t know why certain people are chosen to have such experiences.  I can honestly say I’ve never looked at my food and seen a picture of Jesus or the Virgin Mary.  I always pray I don’t see a hair in my food because it would make me want to cry out to God in a rather unchristian-like way.  The thing that amazes me is that nobody really knows for certain what Jesus looked like when he walked this earth.  There are no pictures, paintings or anything to indicate the image we think of as Jesus is accurate.

I suppose it really doesn’t matter.  People like to hear about such things because they can’t explain them and they think there’s something deeper involved.  I hope I never unknowingly ate an image of Jesus or the Virgin Mary.  Not only would I have missed a possible spiritual sign but also an opportunity to get some media attention. 

Here is a link to the story.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2011/jul/21/jesus-food-sightings


Here is a funny video from It is a Glorious Day.

It's called: Assaults With Candy. Special Guest: Timmy The Tap Dancing Tea Bag




No comments:

Post a Comment