Friday, November 1, 2019

The Benefits of Procrastination. A Real Story


I confess I am a person who likes to put things off until there is no other choice. When my wife was visiting her sister, I only mowed the lawn when some neighbors threatened to call authorities and require I get a permit for growing a forest in a suburb. I told them I will get to mowing it. I also could probably hide in my overgrown lawn and nobody would find me. I eventually broke down and mowed it before my wife came home. I actually finished a few minutes before her car got to the driveway, but I did get it done. It now seems an effort has been made to discover the benefits of procrastinating. I support this effort. I would like to know of any benefits I have not yet experienced. I do plan to read the study one of these days. I just have to get around to it, so just give me some time.

Below are excerpts from the story with my valuable insights in italics.


Some researchers define procrastination as "a form of self-regulation failure [...] characterized by the needless delay of things one intends to do despite the expectation of negative consequences."

I can say this is true. If you have to pay your own taxes to the government, I can tell you procrastinating can get expensive. Governmental tax agencies are not staffed with understanding people who say don't worry about it, we know you're good for it, so get it here when you have the time. No, these are people who say give us the tax you owe or you will owe even more taxes and if you take your time too often you will owe even more taxes.

You were late paying your taxes. You owe more money.”
I have a medical condition.”
What medical condition?”
I suffer from procrastination maximums syndrome. My mind is programmed to be late with things. I can't help it. I'm a victim. I think it is a genetic disorder.”
Now you have to pay even more money.”
Why?”
As per tax code 2234 (3430) lousy excuse story for not paying taxes on time fine.”
Oh.”


Why do we procrastinate?
When referring to procrastination, some people may think of it as poor time management, an inability to organize and prioritize tasks, meaning that we do them at the last minute, or even past their deadline.

Increasingly, research has shown that procrastination is, in fact, a complex, often maladaptive reaction to various perceived stressors.

(Sarcasm Alert)

You are damn right. I'm as complex as anyone. If there is someone who reacts maladaptively to stressors it is me. I've never met a stressor that didn't cause me to go into full-blown procrastination mode. I could be minding my own business and my wife could be upset because I didn't do things around the house or buy things she requested I buy for dinner or remember she was in the hospital. I only know how to tell her I'll get to it or it's no big deal or its routine surgery so it's not big deal. Do I get any understanding? No, I get a wife who doesn't understand how I can't help but react maladaptively to her unique brand of a stressor. Not only does she lack understanding, but my wife has been known to say some rather unpleasant things. Life can be so unfair us suffering from the affliction of procrastination maximums syndrome.


One study published in Personality and Individual Differences in 2017 also found a link between creative ideation (coming up with creative ideas) and active procrastination. It suggested that among 853 undergraduates at Chinese universities, "active procrastinators" may be more prone to creativity.

Hey, if I know one thing about us active procrastination types, it is that we are some of the most creative people in the world. It is a requirement for being a successful procrastinator at any level. This is easily explained. We procrastinator types spend a lot of time creating reasons for putting off doing things. A non-procrastinating type just does things and doesn't have to be creative. Us procrastinating types must come up with the most creative excuses and make them believable.


Why didn't you fix the basement door like you agreed to do?”
I never said I wouldn't fix it, I just didn't specify when I would get it done. I'll get to it.”
You said you'd do it today.”
I may need an extension beyond today. I'll fix it, there is no need to worry.”
An extension?”
I'm busy doing things today.”
Like what?”
I have to figure out a reason to be late to work tomorrow. Then, I have to figure out a reason to be late with my reports. After that, I have to figure out a reason to be late for the business lunch meeting. I have things to do today.”
Why don't you just get to work on time, get your reports in on time and go to the business lunch meeting on time.”
“It is obvious you lack the creative skills necessary to be successful at procrastination. It is more than just a lifestyle for us, it is a calling that makes us feel pride. When we get around to feeling proud of it. It's on my list. I'll get to being proud about being a procrastinator eventually. It'll happen one of these days. Sometime in the future, when we get to it, we'll even have a procrastinator's Hall of Fame. I'm sure of it.”


I intend to take some more time and write some more for this blog column, but I'll get to it eventually. When reading a blog column by someone who suffers from procrastination maximums syndrome, you need to have patience. You should also realize if you were this creative, you would be one of us procrastinator types and read this blog column eventually when you get to it.

Below is a link to the story.


https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325108.php

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer





No comments:

Post a Comment