Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Electronic Devices Designed to Know What You are Feeling. A Real Story.



I have never warmed up to many different electronic devices. I don't like electronic devices that talk to me. During the years, I've gotten into too many arguments with my GPS over directions. It always thinks it knows the best route, but when I tell it I'm going a different way, it just keeps talking and disagreeing with me. I've screamed at my GPS to shut up, said some very disparaging things about its voice and even told it I was not its first owner and I had no idea how many men had used it. It keeps talking to me like it is not even listening to a word I say. At times, it feels like we're married. Now, there is an effort to develop electronic devices that can tell you what you're feeling. I don't think this would work too well with me.

Will you shut up, I'm going the back way to my friend's house.”
Turn right at the next intersection.”
No, I told you I'm going down Ron's driveway to Ed's driveway and then back onto the road. It will cut out at least twenty minutes on my trip.”
You seem angry.”
You seem to to be one GPS unit that does not know how to shut up.”
Could you have suppressed anger issues because your mother screamed so much when you were learning how to drive?”
Hey, that shows how much you know, my mother, father, and dog screamed all the time when I was learning how to drive.”
Maybe you should learn how to drive.”
Maybe you should learn how easily you can be disconnected and sold for parts.”
You have not reached your final destination and I don't care.”
Good.”


Crum, who is the chief scientist at Dolby Laboratories in San Francisco, CA, and an adjunct professor at Stanford University in the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics, defines empathetic technology as "technology that is using our internal state to decide how it will respond and make decisions."

So now there is a type of technology that will try to determine how we make decisions and respond. Will we be sitting in our living rooms someday and watching sports when Alexa will tell us there is a 79 percent chance we are excited about the game we are watching, but are feeling anxious because our team is losing. If I heard this, it would not be beyond me to commit Alexa-side. I may try to discover if Alexa can answer questions after surviving someone beating it with a baseball bat. Using Alexa for target practice may do well. You could ask if it had any last words before hitting filling Alexa full of lead. It just seems we have enough aggravation in our lives, we don't need electronic devices focusing on our feelings. Unless they come out with a version of Alexa you can beat and vent your frustration. It would probably be a huge selling item. They could call it Beat on Me Alexa.


How much sweat a person's skin secretes, as well as the changes in the electrical resistance of the skin can predict "stress, excitement, engagement, frustration, and anger."

Furthermore, humans exhale chemicals, such as carbon dioxide and isoprene, when they feel lonely or scared. In fact, in the TED talk below, Crum had tracked the carbon dioxide that members of the audience exhaled when they watched suspenseful scenes from a thriller movie.


(Sarcasm Alert)

I wonder what predictions are made when a person comes in from mowing the lawn and is covered with sweat? It wouldn't take much to predict feeling tired and wanting to take a shower in this situation. Could you sit outside on a hot day, as sweat forms on you, and have an electronic device falsely accuse you of being angry? Is it possible to be exercising and have an electronic device falsely accuse you of feeling stress? Maybe the device could be designed to detect when a human is feeling anger and stress at being around such an annoying electronic device?

I suppose if you track carbon dioxide from people watching a movie, you know all there is to know about people feeling scared or lonely. If they are really scared, it may not be carbon dioxide that is in the air. It may be someone who needs to change their pants. I just imagine telling someone they are lonely and when they disagree, someone tells them an electronic device has measured their carbon dioxide and according to the electronic device they are lonely. A person could say they had too much garlic for lunch and that always provides a false reading.


We are moving towards "the era of the empath," as Poppy Crum has dubbed it — an era where "technology will know more about us than we do," but also an era where we will know more about each other than ever before.

So, a machine will know more about you than you know about yourself. In the future, we could be living in a world where you say your favorite color is blue, but an electronic device tells you it is red. You say you hate liver, but an electronic device tells you it is your favorite food. An electronic device tells you that your love of math is a good thing no matter how much you tell your electronic device you enjoy art much more. The future will be more than having electronic devices telling us our feelings, it will be like having an electronic parent treat you like you are a perpetual teenager for years. I don't see this as something that is mentally healthy.

"[AI] is often feared because people think it will replace who we are. With empathetic technology, AI can make us better, not replace us. It can also assure us and our doctors that the interventions they prescribe are actually solving the problems we have.


I disagree. This is not the reason people fear AI. It is feared because there will always be individuals who actually value the opinions of an electronic device over those of a human being. The worst fear of all is not being able to turn off AI, or the people who try to tell us how great it is to have our feelings interpreted by machines. AI is making it so people don't have to think, they let AI do it for them. It is developing into an unhealthy dependence.



I'm sure all of my electronic devices will now band together and try to force me to see things their way. I may never be forgiven for the GPS in the electronic recycle bin incident, but the devices in my home will just have to learn to live with it and consider it a warning.

Below is a link to the article.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324965.php

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer




No comments:

Post a Comment