Monday, November 11, 2019

History of Veterans Day. A Real Story



I was in the military as was my father and many members of my family. We have had family members serve in all of the four major military branches. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines all had me or members of my family fill their ranks at one time or another. Today is Veterans Day, and it is a day the service of all members of the military are honored. This day did not always exist, and the history of how it became a national holiday is interesting.


End of World War I
Veterans Day started as a celebration known as Armistice Day. This day was originally a holiday designated as a way to recognize the ending of World War I. The official ending of this war was November 11, 1918. In 1938, it was a new legal holiday intended to honor all of the veterans of World War I. After this time, the United States was involved in World War II as well as the Korean War. In 1954, the U.S.Congress was contacted by a number of veterans services organizations. There were so many veterans from World War II and Koreas they requested the 1938 Act be changed. They asked the word Armistice be deleted and replaced with the word Veterans. The U.S. Congress agreed and the legislation was approved. This officially made November 11 a day designated to honor all American military veterans who had served honorably.


Confusion
It is obvious in 1968 there was a real desire to have uniform holidays that resulted in a three-day weekend. I suppose it was a time when politicians were trying to get re-elected by telling their constituents, they are the person who brought them a uniform three-day weekend holiday schedule. I do wonder how that worked out for them. The U.S. Congress changed Memorial Day, Columbus Day as well as Veterans Day and other federal holidays. There were many states who didn't agree with doing this. They probably rolled their eyes, sighed and then continued to celebrate Veterans Day on November 11. It was a time of much holiday celebration confusion. On September 20, 1975, a law was created that made the observance of Veterans Day once again be on November 11 and for some reason, this didn't start until 1978. I'm sure this action had many voters scratching their head in confusion and wondering if politicians in Washington DC don't have enough real work to spend their time doing.


Observing Veterans Day
Okay, with the government comes lots of rules. Veterans Day is no exception. If the date falls on a non-workday, the federal government will observe it on the following Monday. What will be closed by the federal government is determined by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. It seems state and local governments can choose how to observe it. On August 4, 2001, the U.S. Senate must have been very bored and decided to do something. They passed a resolution that designated November 11 through November 17 as National Veterans Awareness Week. Now, during this time it is suggested students are educated about the sacrifices and contributions of veterans. I have no idea why this has to be suggested by the government, but I respect the effort.


So there you have it. The government history of bureaucracy behind something as simple as a holiday honoring veterans. I believe this is typical of how a government operates. Let's take the time to honor the living veterans who served in wartime as well as peacetime. I know for myself, I'm always overwhelmed with people thanking me for my service. I'm amazed at all the free stuff offered by restaurants and more. I do experience a little guilt. I served because I wanted to serve my country, and I'd be proud to do it again.

Here is a link to an article about the history of Veterans Day

https://www.military.com/veterans-day/history-of-veterans-day.html

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

If you think THIS is funny. Click on the Links Below to Check out My Humor Book

The Longer You Live The Older You Get


Or my other one

I Speak Cursive Like a Baby Boomer




No comments:

Post a Comment