Monday, February 24, 2014

Don't Worry! Be Happy And Age Better. A Real Story


There have always been discussions on what is the best way to approach life. We often use a half filled glass as a metaphor for our attitude. An optimist will say the glass is half full. A pessimist will see the glass as half empty. The realist knows our government will tax your half-filled glass on a sliding scale based on the glass size, beverage contained and reason for use. The half-filled glass will have to pass an inspection by OSHA, ATF, FBI, IRS as well as the Boy Scouts of America before it is determined to be safe for use. The government will then issue 14 volumes of regulations to be followed. Any failure to do so could result in criminal charges. I think we need to make sure we keep our half-filled glass metaphors away from government scrutiny.

There is now a study that shows if you enjoy life more you will age better. I've known some mean old guys in my time.  The type of old guys that make you wonder why someone hasn't already sent them to their eternal reward. I've also known some very happy people who passed away in their 30s from health issues. Maybe only the unhappy good die young.

Below are excerpts from the study in bold and my valuable insights in italics.

As part of a follow-up study testing the link between happiness and physical performance, the UCL researchers have assessed the enjoyment of life of 3,199 participants aged 60 years or older.


If you're healthy at 60 years old what's not to be happy about? Your house is probably paid off, children grown and gone. People even tolerate you enjoying yourself at Disneyland.


The participants in the study were asked to rate on a four-point scale how much they subscribed to the following statements:


"I enjoy the things that I do"
I can say anything I want and blame my medication.
"I enjoy being in the company of others”
I love watching the look on their faces when I provide graphic details about my latest trip to the doctor's office.
On balance, I look back on my life with a sense of happiness" and "I feel full of energy these days."
There is so much I don't remember, but it doesn't matter. If I don't appear to be full of energy my children start wanting their inheritance.



Efforts to enhance well-being at older ages may have benefits to society and health care systems.
Notice how these study participants weren't asked if they had recently taken something like Zoloft? There are people in their 60s who are given prescriptions that would make experiencing a tsunami seem like a good time to them.

Look at all the water. Reminds me of swimming and fishing when I was a child. Did I ever tell you about fishing with my friends?”
Hey, this is a tsunami. We've got to get to higher ground.”
Don't you want to hear my story?”
Actually I think I want to take one of your Zoloft.”
Oh, okay.”

The study found that people who had a low sense of well-being were more than three times as likely to experience problems in performing daily activities.


I bet they still excelled when it came to swearing at people and throwing empty beer cans at anyone who walks past their house. Not that I ever plan to do such a thing. I'm just saying everyone's retirement goals are different.


In the new study, people with higher social-economic status and education were also more likely to enjoy life. Married and working people also scored higher on the happiness scale than retired or single seniors.


If you're an uneducated, poor, single and retired senior you're probably miserable. Don't even try to tell anyone you're happy. We have a study to prove you wrong. It doesn't matter if you're laying on a beach in the Caribbean enjoying your retirement with a lady friend. It's time to realize happiness is not possible for you. We have the the word of 3,199 study participants and they know.



You're an educated wealthy man. You're married and still work. You must be ecstatic with life.
If I didn't work I'd have to spend more time with my wife. My kids and relatives all want my money and let me know it. I just wish I had time to be with my uneducated poor brother who retired and is living in the Caribbean.”
That's rough.”


So if you plan to live a long and healthy life you need to get an education, get married, never stop working as well as have a positive outlook on things. I wonder if this will prevent car accidents, house fires or being the victim of a crime? Will it prevent you from experiencing health issues brought on by genetics?

I can't have a terminal illness. I'm married, have a job, education and think everything is great. My retired, uneducated, single, grumpy cousin is in perfect health and he's ten years older than me. This isn't right. I've read the study.”

I guess your body didn't see the study.”


I believe it's important to realize that sometimes studies don't accurately reflect the reality of life.

Check Out My Other Blog Posts


If you're feeling suicidal simply have a cup of coffee. According to some researchers that's how it works. I share my feeling about this in my blog
Suicide Prevention with Java”

Do you know what city has the most dog bites? Read and find out in my blog
Houston We Have A Dog Bite”


No comments:

Post a Comment