Monday, June 27, 2011

ROMAN-TECH

            It’s always interesting to see the new and different ways people like to propose marriage.  Decades ago when I asked my wife to marry me there were no such things as the internet, cell phones or iPads.  Because of this lack of sophisticated technology most of us just opted to used the old fashioned, get down on one knee, hold your prospective wife’s hand and ask her to spend the rest of her life with you type marriage proposal method.  Upon receiving a positive response you’d slip an engagement ring on her finger.  It didn’t have a lot of bells or whistles but was an effective way to propose marriage.  This was something we usually did in person and without a lot of attention.  An approach such as this is now considered old fashioned and lacking in anything modern.  As with every other part of modern life people who love technology have found ways to work it into every aspect of their lives including wedding proposals.
            In Cincinnati Greg H. proposed marriage to his girlfriend Dana B. by using Groupon.  This service offers so many great deals including now being able to get the woman of your dreams to marry you.  The Groupon deal was titled “A Surprise for a Dana from a Greg.”  Should she click buy Dana accepted Greg’s proposal for $1 and got $999,998 off the $999,999 value.  How romantic can you get?  I can just imagine years from now when they have children.
            “Why did you marry daddy?”
            “I got him for a dollar.  Some days I wish I would’ve done a little more shopping.  I’ll always wonder what kind of husband I would’ve gotten if I’d not been so cheap and was willing to paid $20.00, but we’ll never know.”
            “What did daddy pay for you?”
            “He’s never finished paying for me.  If he doesn’t do the lawn work like he promised he’ll really be paying, trust me.”
            “Oh.”
            It only gets better.  The fine print reads “Groupon is entitled to no less than 15% of their marital bliss.”
            “Who are you?”
            “I’m from Groupon and I’ve come for our 15% of your marital bliss.”
            “Here you go.”
            “That’s it?” 
            “Sorry, we’re hoping for an increase in our marital bliss, but with the economy the way it is and his mother living with us we’re pretty low on marital bliss right now.”
            “That’s understandable.”
            I know there are a lot of people who are absolutely addicted to video games.  They spend endless hours playing them and lose track of time and reality.  The only thing more frightening than someone who’s let video games take over their life is someone who get’s video games involved with their romantic life.
            A man wanted to marry a girl who loved playing Mario.  He decided to put her love of the video game to his advantage.  He actually decorated his living room to look like the Mushroom Kingdom.  It only gets better.  Rather than actually give her the engagement ring he had her knock it out of a question block with her head.  I wonder if she was disappointed she couldn’t play more of the game after getting the ring.
            There is also the story of a LinkedIn employee who coded a custom iPhone application to send to his girlfriend.  The application sent her on a scavenger hunt throughout San Francisco.  It included a map with location points connected to video clues which provided information on where to go next.  The final destination was the top of a hill where the LinkedIn employee proposed.
            “Will you marry me?”
            “What are you doing here?  I’m on a scavenger hunt.”
            “I know.  I’m the one who custom made the application.”
            “You did what?”
            “I designed the scavenger application and made the videos.
            “You couldn’t just ask me?  You had to send me all over this city looking for something?  Aren’t we a bit manipulative?”
“Sorry, will you marry me?”
“Don’t worry about it.  I think I’ll just text you the details of my scavenger hunt for you to find my response.”
“Want some help?”
“Pbbbbbbth.”
One of my favorite marriage proposals came when a man put the engagement ring for his future fiancĂ© inside of a Poke ball like they have on the Pokemon animated series.  I wonder what would happen if you threw such a Poke ball and yelled “Nuptial Nerd Attack, go.”
In an effort to prove that video gamers are the epitome of amorous fools a financial software programmer tweaked a game called “Bejeweled” for his marriage proposal.  When his girlfriend reached a certain score a ring and proposal popped up on the screen.  He set the score pretty low and he got her a pink sapphire engagement ring.  The game manufacturer heard about it and offered to pay for their wedding.  Who knew getting a low score on a video game would come with such benefits.
What could be more inspiring than a techno–geek wedding?  I wonder if the bride and groom would actually be at the ceremony or would just text “I do” to the official presiding over the service.  Maybe they would set up video games you could play at the reception about the bride and groom and the one with the biggest score gets to take home left over ice cream?  I believe the possibilities are endless.
I know I show my age when it comes to technology.  I still believe being physically in the same space as the person you want to marry when you ask such a question is the best way to do it.  No gimmicks, no games, no crowds, just an honest proposal given with sincerity.  I hope techno people realize that marriage really isn’t a video game and is probably the best reality they’ll ever experience.
IF YOU LIKE MY HUMOR YOU'LL LOVE MY BOOKS. $2.99 KINDLE VERSIONS. CLICK THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment