Monday, April 4, 2016

Animals in the wild workout. It's a real study. I'm not making this up


Well, some good research money was spent to study how animals in the wild exercise to keep fit. Yes, this is for real. Researchers learned about this by studying polar bears, penguins, geese and more. They also studied captive animals such as mice and panda bears. (Sarcasm Alert) I guess this information may be useful for gym memberships. Let us face it, no company wants to be the last to enter the wild animal workout market.

Below are excerpts from the story in bold. My valuable insights are in italics.

Amidst hours sitting daily at a desk or in front of the TV, humans voluntarily seek out an exercise to combat a sedentary lifestyle and stay fit – but are we the only creatures that do this?
Scientists don’t quite know the answer yet.
In a recent study, a researcher from Roehampton University examines the idea, finding that some animals get fit in preparation for planned events.
And, to the ire of humans, they may be able to do so with little to no voluntary exercise at all.

Yeah, I'm sure animals in the wild wake up in the morning and try to get in that important workout so they can better chase pray. The last thing they want is to have some extra pudge during mating season. What kind of exercises do these animals do? Is it Pilates? The Lions want strength training while the wildebeest want to be more flexible?



Researchers haven’t contemplated the idea that some animals may not do enough exercise during their general activities to be suitably fit for infrequent, high-intensity activities such as fleeing from predators.

How can I help you Mrs. Antelope.”
I need to improve my speed. Those mountain lions are just getting a bit too close to eating me anymore.”
So, what are your training goals, Mr. Polar Bear?”
Well, I want to beef up my body so when I pound on the ice with my front paws, I can break it with less problem. I want to get better at grabbing a seal up through the ice for dinner.”
That's understandable. The elephant seals are working out to be quicker at getting penguins. Penguins are trying to build up their speed to better get away from the elephant seals.”
Hey, that's why they call us wild animals. Our world is a little on the wild side.”



The eco-physiologist points to the example of laboratory animals who pack on weight in captivity, but also acknowledges that rats and mice will run on a wheel if it’s provided.
And he discusses the opposite – giant pandas who walk just 27 meters in an hour because they are unthreatened by predators.

I guess what we need is to have those pandas meet with a physical trainer.

Look, Mr. Panda, you really should increase your walking to more than 27 meters an hour. It's bad for your health to go that slow. You also need to have more than bamboo in your diet. You should add some protein, grains, and fruits. We need to set some exercise goals.”
Hey, I have no predators so the hell with it. How about I start having a bamboo beer with some bamboo burgers and bamboo chocolate? That's something I could do.”
Sorry, that's no good. How about we put an exercise wheel near you so you can use it like the mice?”
Hey, I think you should talk to other animals with predators. Now leave me alone, it's time for my bamboo.”

Again I'm left asking myself, who pays for studies like this?

Here is a link to the story.  

News Story About Study


No comments:

Post a Comment