Wednesday, December 14, 2011

‘TIS THE SEASON TO BE CRAZY

            A few weeks ago the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shared the sordid tale of a woman who played a Sugar Plum Fairy at their annual Christmas festival and got fired by the city for uttering an expletive while taking a drug test.  I guess the standards for Sugar Plum Fairies are very high, but being let go for saying an expletive while not on the job could be considered a bit harsh. 
            I confess I don’t have what it takes to be a Sugar Plum Ferry at any annual festival.  I once worked at an office that had a swear jar and had to quit.  My colorful and appropriate use of expletives was not appreciated.  The last straw was when I owed the swear jar so much money I just put my check in it and left.  I then sought employment in a work environment free of swear jars.

            The name of the actress who played the Sugar Plum Fairy is Laura Coppinger.  She is no rookie to this Sugar Plum Fairy gig.  This year was her sixth year of doing it.  Can’t veteran Sugar Plum Fairies who have such seniority get a little consideration?  Where’s the Sugar Plum Fairy union when you need it? 
            It appears what happened is that Ms. Coppinger had to take a drug test which is a requirement for all city employees.  During the drug test she accidently flushed the toilet.  Obviously this is a huge no no when it comes to drug test taking.  After the fatal flush she was informed she could not leave the drug testing facility until she could provide another urine sample.  I bet nobody provided any wine, beer or a mixed drink to help the process along.
            What the drug testers didn’t know or care about was that Ms. Coppinger had a job interview scheduled for after the drug test.  She didn’t have time to sit around and wait for her body to process liquids.  I would hope city administrators would understand nobody pays for a professional Sugar Plum Fairy except during the holidays.  Sure, maybe they could branch out into the being mascots in the restaurant business, but that’s another story.
            Upon learning that she would miss her job interview, Sugar Plum Fairy Laura Coppinger became understandably frustrated and swore.  A short time later she was told to go home as she had been let go.  If I had been fired from a job that kept me from going to a job interview, I would let go so many expletives I’d have to declare bankruptcy from filling swear jars for miles around. 
            I know that many people who work for the government have limited ability to comprehend reality.  I’m talking about the type of person who sees a nuclear accident and their first thought is all the paperwork it will generate. 
            Upon being asked about the reason for letting go Sugar Plum Fairy Laura Coppinger the city’s human resources department said she violated the code of conduct for a Christmas Traditions characters.  Huh?
            What government entity pays someone to sit around and write a “code of conduct” for Christmas Traditions characters?
            “We’ve had too many Santa’s belching and scratching themselves like they were baseball players.  Those pesky reindeers are asking women along the parade route for dates offering a special sleigh ride.  Something has to be done.”
            “I know.  We’ll have a code of conduct for Christmas Traditions characters.”
            “Great idea, I’ll expect you to work on it every day for the next seven years.”
            “It’s a deal.”

            According to the human resources department at the city of St. Louis, Ms. Coppinger didn’t get let go for swearing or using an expletive.  She got let go for saying “naughty words.”  What?
            I suppose if you can get let go for saying a “naughty words” I can only imagine what would happen to you for telling a big fat fib or having a pouty face.
            Outside the city of St. Louis human resources department it seems sanity has descended upon the land.  A facebook page was started on her behalf and even the downtown St. Louis merchants are sticking up for her.  She even has the support of the actress who replaced her.
            It’s obvious the Christmas spirit is alive and well.  I shared this story with a person I know who works at a city human resources department.  When he told me he understood why the Sugar Plum Fairy was let go I disagreed with him using some very creative naughty words.  I then quickly left with him chasing after me holding a swear jar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment